Traction is over rated. :twisted:

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Re: Drifting Suspension and other tricks

Post by Stephen Swanepoel »

FYI Link worked for me.

My input is :
I will help anyone who comes to me personally as Im not about to have anyone throw something in my face that I have posted on a puplic forum. Sorry this does sound crapy of me but one needs to consider this in any sport.
I do have some basic info I am willing to share. some may sound obvious but you would be suprised how many people dont do the basics at all never mind correctly even. So here goes basics

Supadrift rules and Judging are loosely based on Formula drift, but not hard and fast on this relatively new form of Motorsport like drifting in South Africa. This is done for the purpose of growing the sport not killing it with too much red tape.

In terms of a drift car setup, I would choose a car with as close to a 50/50 weight bias as possible. And carry out the following modifications to it.
1. coilovers (made for the specific car) Biggest and most important.
2. safety equipment (bucket seat, min 4 point harness, fire ex, roll cage, collapsible stearing hub on good wheel.)you get the point.
3. A proper hand break. If you pull it wheels must stop.
4. 2 way Limited slip diff(not welded diff) I dont care if welding a diff works it does not work properly.
5. Power is not everything you do not need 500HP.
6. Remove the sub and huge sound but leave the radio in you will be so happy when you are waiting to go out for a run and some chop put his car deep in the kitty litter. The tow bar and and heavy stuff not needed for performance, and all the crap inside the car that could hit you in the head even if you where a helmet must GO.

My 2c use it dont use it.

DriftZ
200SX Maniac
Car: S15
Engine: SR

Post by DriftZ »

i know its still early days for this sport in SA... but maybe its getting near to where we need 2 classes... Street ( street legal, basic mods ) & Pro ( Wild cars, mad mod's... Jason Webbs car for example )

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

I like that idea but be honest with yourself, is there enough street class cars to compete (and I mena cars that are driving now and driving regularly)? Just a question as I fully support street/grassroots class of drifting.

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

DriftZ
200SX Maniac

Post by DriftZ »

yes

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost

In a perfect world of drifting in South Africa we would have 80 or 100 entries from one corner of SA to the other and do practice on Wednesday and Thursday, qualifing rounds on friday and have street legal and pro with applicable rules too. Followed by Saturday Top 32 drivers battling it out and changing out paint. With Stunt shows inbetween and 4 car tandem drift trains.

BUT

There is not that kind of depth yet! and besides if its trofies you want they sell them for cheep at the trofy shops(cheeper than building drift cars)
And if you wanted to persue a sport you would not want any old Tom Dick or Harry winning a championship would you? So if it was me I would want to run with the big dogs only way you can improve on your own skill level.

DriftZ
200SX Maniac

Post by DriftZ »

bring on the perfect world.. not for trophies lol.. just for growth of the sport!

.. on a side note, as much as im not a Top Queer Fan.. it seems they have somehow sparked off plans for 2 more tracks to be built in Durban!! ( agreed seeing is believing ) But theres hopes for the banana boys to do some learning before swimming with the intimidating sharks in the deep end.

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost

I do know Dez was saying at the last event he was going to build a proper hill side circuit ebisu style.
And if the Top Gear event ment anything to Government it would be something to think about,
This country is already struggling to hold on to its existing race tracks so who knows????

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles ... rules.aspx

Check this site its quite informative

But remember the best school is trial and error.

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost

P3g4sus
Club Drifter
Car: Supra
Engine: 2JZ

Post by P3g4sus »

thx for the input guys, I would love for diff clases, But i agree, untill we have 100+ drifters per track, that wont work, would be awesome to compete in both, with a full blown drifter, and a street legal drifter though!

Stephen, as for the locked diff vs a decent diff, i cannot say a decent 1.5 or 2 way diff compared to a locked welded diff is a bad or good thing, as i havent felt what a decent diff feels like, but then again, i cannot justify the price of a decent diff, for me its just doesnt make sence, I do not use my car anywhere close to a road or a track, only drifting, so it works for my application.

as for what drifting is for me, I love the art, Its a sport totally on its own, I do not see that it needs to be put in the same basket as "any other motorsport".
Its our sport to promote and grow, i can not accept the fact that anyone has a say as a single person, this is a sport that can be changed as drivers, if all the drivers will join in this feeling is another matter completely....

A organization that "host" an event, like MSA and WOMZA, Is only there to promote it and Make sure it runs like its supposed to run, Its like a country's Government, its not there to make rules as they please,it is there to manage everything for the good of the country.same for drifting, is it for spectators and so on,or is it for the good of the sport? I believe that the drivers(that is the sport) can have the final say, Why must we do a sport that costs a small fortune for others peoples gain? that is exactly not like a sport should be about, I do not know if the Drivers from other areas will know about our problems in Guateng, But we are in situation that some off the tracks is being sett up for Spectators pleasure, not drivers pleasure, So then it becomes a monopely effect...

Is the sport being compromised for money, or for the sport?

And i personally think thats where drifting in SA, as well as across the world is heading towards is for Money and power, In witch case i Am very sad to see an art form of this magnificent is going down to that.

Why cant we just do it for the love of going sideways and to control the uncontrollable? as the Japs are still doing?

Now the last question, Are we going to allow that? or are we going to let them walk all over us? I personally wish we could all stand together as a drifting Community and family to stop such things from happening....It would be a sad day indeed if we lose the sport for what it is, Sports, and not financial gain.

Just my 2c, or is that 20c?

Well now its become a "Whats wrong with Drifting" tread, And not a Suspension and tricks tread :P

And for the tracks, There is roamers that the busy with a track in the south of jhb, And i Also heard of dez's Track, It remains to be seen, but would be awesome to see that happen!
Power is nothing without control,
Control is not fun without power.
Traction is over rated. :twisted:

DriftZ
200SX Maniac

Post by DriftZ »

is -10 too much caster?

Stephen Swanepoel
0.5 Bar Boost