Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Toby
Club Founder
Car: S13

Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

Post by Toby »

So, seeing Vlade's awesome work on Project D, and Deen's engine rebuild got me thinking that maybe it's high time I've started getting my fingernails greasy! :lol:

So, with the intention of getting my timing cover off to find the cause of the knocking noise in my engine, I unintentionally initiated "Project C" - the "C" standing for "clean". Yup, my intention is to strip the accessories and pipes around the engine and clean it.

My wife had to show me how it's done:

Lots of grease and grime on the parts I took out:

But with a little Handy Andy and som esteel wool, it gets cleaned:

Some bits like the aircon compressor will have to be cleaned "inline"

Even the turbo doesn't get to skip a bath:

Some expensive tools had to be bought for this job:

Lots of work to be done still. Look at that third cylinder - there's oil dripping out there! This is what has convinced me that I need to turn Project C into almost Project D - engine overhaul time!

I don't trust my memory, so all bolts and little pieces are filed away and labelled:

Also started fiddling with my ECU 'cos I need to sort out my leaking injectors still. Check out the work done by Chip Logic - they socketed the EPROM and remapped it.

Don't be fooled though - they cheated me 'cos they still used standard injectors even though I was told they are bigger! Plus it took me 9 months to get my car back! Don't EVER take your car to them.

Thanks to Freddie for helping me remove the turbo and other difficult bits! More to come...[/img]
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Nice one Toby, looks great

Like what your doing with the nuts and bolts I really wish I had some patience to do the same, will save me hours in searching for those damn bolts :D

Do your self a favor and buy some engine cleaner from the parts places, you'll save over expensive cleaning products like Handy-Andy, 5ltr engine cleaner
Hairdresser MX5

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

AAAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!! WHAT IS YOUR TURBO DOING OUT THERE!!???

Dislex666
0.3 Bar Boost

Re: Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

Post by Dislex666 »

Toby wrote: Even the turbo doesn't get to skip a bath:
turbo? what turbo? :P

Deens
Slipping Clutch

Post by Deens »

My tip for not losing bolts and nuts is to either screw them back where they came out from where possible or keep them together as a group (like all the manifold nuts/washers look the same) or together with the part eg. three bolts that hold thermostat housing will stay inside/with the housing, screws for tappet covers will stay inside tappet covers. Only down side for maybe some guys is that I only wash the part before I put it back, this way I know exactly what is meant to keep it where it should be. My 2 cents anyway. Use it, don't use it. It works for me and I never end up with stuff missing or spares in the end. PS. Toby I didn't realise that your socket set does not have a "T" bar, only a ratchet...you need to get one (second hand tool shop??) or your ratchet will be ratshit after some hammering. Also, see if you can find a nice (you will know it when you hold it in your hand) ball pien hammer. More as it comes to me.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

I agree with Deens. I do exactley the same thing, that way, I don't have any extra's!! Nothing more confusing when holding a bunch of bolts in your hand & the car is actually idling..... :?

Degreaser is the best for the oily bits. Get yourself a little paint brush so that you can clean in the hard to reach places, like the firewall behind the engine.

what I also like to do, is replace the bolts and screws with new ones. especially if the heads are damaged & thread looks suspect. Also the constant heating up & cooling down of the motor makes the manifold bolts & screws, abit brittle......ever saw an SX with all it's heat shield bolts on? :)

Another thing we tend to miss, is the radiator. We all clean & flush them out, why not do the same for the out side. use de-greaser or even good old fashion sunlight & spray the fins from the outside & inside of the car. Hose out, but not with a concentrated force of water, a spray instead as this might bend the fins.
Do the same for the intercooler, but actually wash the inside of the cooler as well.
the pipes can also be cleaned from the inside, now that it is out.
One thing I wanted to do, but didn't get a chance to, is buy Autosol & get a drill & polish the heat shield. well anything that can be made shiny. You can use it to polish the tappert cover bolts.

Anyway, have fun boet, & reap the rewards when it's finally done & you can say...I did that myself :P
Steer From the Rear !!

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

O'yes polish the actuator (wastegate) on the turbo......Brasso works well.
Steer From the Rear !!

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

WooHaa wrote:I agree with Deens. I do exactley the same thing, that way, I don't have any extra's!! Nothing more confusing when holding a bunch of bolts in your hand & the car is actually idling..... :?
I do it all the time... It's called weight saving :lol:

I just plunch it all into a bucket, but then again I've done 3 CA engine swaps and built a CA up from the ground and removed the turbo a couple of times... by now I kinda know where the bolts go and how many of them look.
Hairdresser MX5

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Did you manage to locate the knocking noise from the engine yet Toby?
Or have you decided to redo the whole thing anyway.

Not to burst any bubbles here, but when you have a bearing knock, it also sounds like it's coming from the under the timing cover.
Steer From the Rear !!

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Thanks for the comments, guys. I did leave bolts on the original parts where I could. However, in many cases they don't stay on unless bolted to something else, or I needed to remove the bolts to clean them, which is why I decided to file them away.

WooHaa... haven't found the source of the knocking sound :-( Could be bearing knock, like you say. I listened to it VERY carefully, and it definitely emanates from the top of the engine, but that could just be because the sound is transmitted up there.

No updates to speak of, other than that I resprayed the timing belt cover - Aerolak Gun Metal Grey is a PERFECT match for the original paint. Also cleaned and then painted the crank angle sensor with a shiny silver paint to match it's original colour.
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

WooHaa wrote:O'yes polish the actuator (wastegate) on the turbo
which reminds me - i have lost the little bloody circlip that goes on the shaft - its sooo small - anybody know where i can find one? (is it generic? if so, please measure yours and tell me? (I mean measure the circlip))

Calibrator, what will you charge me for a compression test man?

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

widow bring your car to my house this weekend I'm buying a decent compression tester to test my car... its easy enough to test another car too...
and it will be free
Hairdresser MX5

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

kewl, i have been waiting for an invitation to see your work - can we make it the Sunday? I will have to at least try to make my garden look like im back from holiday :)

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Ja we can arrange... I'll let you know tomorrow.
Hairdresser MX5

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Progress has finally been made on my Project C!

Firstly, on the 14th of January, at the "repair and braai" event, we got the head off! Check out the pictures here:

http://200sx.za.net/cars/200sx/gallery. ... 2007_01_14

Then today, Veecee brought his engine hoist and engine mounting frame to my place and set it up for me. ChemCool and I then decided to get the block off, which we promptly did - see pictures here:

http://200sx.za.net/cars/200sx/gallery. ... 2007_01_27

Thanks to ChemCool and Veecee for your help!! Next up, I take the block and head to the engineers to get a report on it's condition. The plan is to redo the piston rings, bearings, and fix the crankshaft keyway. I should then get a cleaned and reassembled block and head back to fit back into the SX!! :D