PaKi's Track MoNSTeR

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13

PaKi's Track MoNSTeR

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Figured while I have 5 min I might as well start a build thread. Might give me some inspiration to carry on and get the thing done...

Bought the car 8 years ago as a minter. Was a daily and did some drag racing in it. Motor went and it all went downhill from there... Had to build 3 motors in one year due to @ssholes ripping you off. I got the car going every so often but there was always issues. Life got in the way so it got parked and I waited until the time was right.

I'm married, bought the house, got a kid with another on the way, started my own business... Now it's my turn. So I'm building a full track car mainly for circuit racing but also to have fun in. I want to do as mush as I can with the car. So if there are gymkhanas, drift events or just places to go and have fun I want to be there.
Attachments
DSC_00552.jpg
DSC_00552.jpg (223.13 KiB) Viewed 18824 times
There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and owning an SX the most certain.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Re: PaKi's Track MoNSTeR

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

1st job was to strip the interior out. I tried to get rid of as much as possible. Seeing as the car is getting cadged none of the old interior is staying.

Also started pulling out all the wiring starting from the back. Got to the B pillar area when I ran out of time. So I need to make some time to carry on with that before the guy comes around for the cage. Not looking forward to the sound deadening either... :facepalm:
Attachments
DSC_0060f.jpg
DSC_0060f.jpg (256.54 KiB) Viewed 18823 times
There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and owning an SX the most certain.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

What do you have planned engine and chassis wise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Well I have lots of ideas. But weather they will eventually make it due to either time, cost or my ability to execute is another story. Perhaps I should just mention that I'm not a car builder at all. I am technically inclined but I'm pretty clear on my personal limitations. Pretty strange for someone that owns an engineering company.

The engine will remain CA. I'm not a sell out... :shock: I have a whole box of goodies that should net quite a good little power plant. Will take a pic and ad it later. As for the chassis, I have been talking to a guy locally that manufactures cages for all the VW rally and racing cars. He builds FIA spec cages and has been doing so for 25 years.

Safety is no 1 in this build. I have too much on the line to stuff around. So the money is going into safety items first. Then reliability. I have leant over the years that the right stuff isn't cheap and patience is key. So I'll wait and do it properly this time. So its going to be a ground up build. I'm not just going to slap lipstick on the pig. I want to do it right.

The chassis is going to get all the attention it needs. Full cage, all of the suspension is getting redone with a whole new setup. For simplicity's sake I was thinking of just ordering a kit from DW that has all of the items required. This will ensure that nothing is missed or forgotten about.

As we go along I would also like to take the diff out and send that to get the once over as well as the gear box. No point in building a new motor and other components have to just carry on like they are. I've had lots of time to think about this to a point that I'm getting a little OCD unfortunately... :oops:

RB25SX
Over Boosting
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by RB25SX »

Contact BC suspension for good quality suspension: www.bc-sa.co.za
R32 GTR

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

The Driftworks kit is awesome - it is what I had in my car. Very well made components.

All you need to add to it is the poly bushes for the lower control arms (if you are not going to change them) and the ARB and steering rack bushes. It changes the car so, so much.....it feels fantastic to drive and the feedback is phenomenal.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Still a while before I have to make a call on suspension parts. Lot's to do before then. Need to get my ass in gear and carry on prepping the inside. Sound deadening needs to come out, need to strip all the wiring out, dash etc.

As a matter of interest, I see what I assume to be the ABS ECU in the right hand B pillar area of the car. In all the articles that I read no one has removed this, yet the ABS pump is removed. Any reason why or is it too deep in the bowels to remove? I cannot see why you would still require this if the ABS is being removed or am I missing something?

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

Toss it
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

RB25SX wrote:Contact BC suspension for good quality suspension: http://www.bc-sa.co.za
Agreed with the BC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

I want to see if I can do the sound deadening over the weekend. I can get dry ice, but I'm not sure how much to get. Any idea how much I would need. Don't want to run out half way through and have to do it again.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

So pulled finger and got a few things done. Stripped the rest of the interior out including the dash. Hope I know how it all fits together again... :?

The next step is to remove the sound deadening and then prep for the cage. But one step at a time...
Attachments
DSC_00151.jpg
DSC_00151.jpg (274.57 KiB) Viewed 18721 times

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Here's a few items that will get used to build the motor one day...
Attachments
DSC_00141.jpg
DSC_00141.jpg (286.11 KiB) Viewed 18661 times

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting
Engine: RB

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Nice bud
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

So did some more work to the car... Removed the sound deadening. Well most of it. Actually wasn't as bad as I expected, but I suppose I've only got the easy bit out of the way. Did a little bit of reading and watched a few YouTube video's and someone used Isopropyl Alcohol along with the dry ice. It super freezes and I think the alcohol helps to start the degrading process on the rubber sealant under the sound deadening.

So on the floor I managed to remove 90% of the sound deadening that was there. There are a few pieces left but I'll get them off eventually. The shitty bit still lies ahead. I couldn't get the rear wheel arches to freeze so most of that is still covered. I think that is going to be a tough area to get clean. Any idea what I can use in those areas except dry ice?

Here's a before pic of the floor in the passenger area.
DSC_0010a.jpg
DSC_0010a.jpg (79.88 KiB) Viewed 18555 times
Here is a picture of the mixture cooling.
DSC_0011a.jpg
DSC_0011a.jpg (232.6 KiB) Viewed 18555 times
This is what it looks like 15 min after placing the mixture on the sound deadening.
DSC_0014a.jpg
DSC_0014a.jpg (326.67 KiB) Viewed 18555 times
This is after cleaning. There is still some stuff left but we'll get to that at a later stage.
DSC_0030a.jpg
DSC_0030a.jpg (283.12 KiB) Viewed 18555 times
As soon as I have the last sound deadening out I want to run a wire brush over most of the interior to clean things up a little and get all of the stuff in the hard to reach places out.

Now it's beer time... [smilie=200sx_1eye.gif]

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Good work dude
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"