CA18DET Topmount build and S14 T28 **ADSL**

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Re: CA18DET Topmount build and S14 T28 **ADSL**

Post by troopiec »

Small update, put the exhaust together and had the propshaft rebalanced and vibration seems to be completely gone, still to be done is:

- battery relocation to boot
- Fit FMIC and new custom boost pipes
- Dicktator management
- Bigger injectors: 440 or 550?
- electric fans with custom alluminium shroud
- higher boost 0.8 - 1.0bar

right now im just enjoying the car safely on 0.6bar, its performing decently, love the sound and im just happy to have a car again after 5months, plus just making sure everything is good, the T28 turbo is smoking a slight bit in boost, not bad enough to worry about, im keeping an eye on oil pressure and all is safe. but will import a genuine Garrett repair kit and have some pro's fit it and balance, thats the nice part of having the journal bearing it can be reconditioned.

Heres a small video of the me burning some rubber:

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

haha please dont judge its actually the first time ive ever attempted a doughnut with the car. but was fun :lol: tried to keep the rev's under 6500rpm but will definately keep practicing, but il slap on the standard 15's with some old tyres on next time.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Nice dont waist your time on 440cc rather go 550first time round 440 is not enough

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Never actually posted any pics with the downpipe on and car on road, but like i said theres ALOT still to be done, but ive done about 1200km like this so far and not a single problem so very happy so far, here some pics:

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Looks awesome. Tappet covers need a respray.

"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Yip definitely on my to-do list, will be doing it in blue, but its gotta wait a while, will fit new oem nissan gaskets when i remove and refit them and the pair is R450 last i checked from nissan, so among injectors, management and small items such as tappet cover gaskets the costs unfortunately add up alot on an apprentice's salary, so will take time.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Lol you dont need to explain to me about working with a tight budget lol I know all to well

R31skylineguy
Slipping Clutch
Engine: 1JZ

Post by R31skylineguy »

Very neat considering you doing everything yourself! And on a budget for that matter

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

troopiec wrote:Yip definitely on my to-do list, will be doing it in blue, but its gotta wait a while, will fit new oem nissan gaskets when i remove and refit them and the pair is R450 last i checked from nissan, so among injectors, management and small items such as tappet cover gaskets the costs unfortunately add up alot on an apprentice's salary, so will take time.
Alert engine parts sell the gasket for R30ea.
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

Jokat
Slipping Clutch

Post by Jokat »

Wow nice work man, good to see someone putting in the effort themselves to make a neat job! Just a learning question, would the length of your mani pipes create more turbo lag?
"Put your left foot in, put your right foot in, take your left foot out and slide it all about!!!!"

S13 200sx CA18DET

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Hey man thanks for the compliment, yes longer manifold runners do increase turbo lag a bit unfortunately, i hit full boost around 3500 rpm which is pretty high for a s14 t28 on a ca18, but at higher rpm i feel it flows really well, but I'm no expert, it was my first attempt so when im done the rest i would like to take it to a experienced tuner to dyno it and see what the power curve looks like and see what he thinks of my creation, but I'm enjoying it so that's what counts [emoji2], I've done more work since, moved battery to boot and I'm soon installing the fmic, will update with pics soon

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Well time for a bit of an update, been busy on the car every month doing little bits here and there slowly progressing, heres what ive done since.

Relocated Battery to boot with 0 guage audio power cable, ran the cable in the cabin for safety and made sure nothing will rub through didnt take many pics as i got a new cell phone during the process:

got my new wheels finally, car just needs a nice drop on coilovers in future :)

Then with the battery out the way i was finally able to start getting the intercooler planned and fitted, i wanted to try minimize the cutting on the bumper so i mounted it such a way that i would only have to trim the sides sligtly and the bottom would of the bumper would still be there to bolt on for stability:

with the intercooler all clearing and planned the bumper could now be removed:

mocked up the number plate and indicators to avoid any traffic fines.

hole cut where battery used to be, must still spray the area:

some new radiator brackets i made now that the pesky oem boost pipe was out the way:

Side mount intercooler removed and original hole ready for boost pipe, no need to cut further:

bottom of intercooler secure after having additional bungs welded on:

all prep work done and now it was time to start TIG welding :D this is the hot side 50mm boost pipe out of 304 stainless steel:

now time for the 63mm cold side, took me hours to get the shape right and the bends cut right for there to be no gap between the pieces as to fuse weld them together it the gaps must be almost air tight or else you just burn holes and then youll have to make use of ugly filler rod

and heres the almost finished product, still need to get an adaptor machined up to fit my new dump valve and some touch ups to be done, must still have bumper resprayed to fit it back, but so far im quite happy.

no boost leaks as of yet and the T-clamps are doing a great job keeping the pipes in place, even when my wonky boost controller was letting out 1.3bar the boost pipes did not budge and my intake is cool to the touch after driving the car like a maniac, when with the side mount intercooler the intake used to feel pretty hot after a hard drive. so its definately doing its job :D

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Well done Coljin, you have some skills!!

Nissan_Fanatic
Slipping Clutch

Post by Nissan_Fanatic »

Nicely done bud! Glad it all came together like you wanted it to.

I really need a TIG welder in my life...
I like all cars, I just like some more than others ;)
'93 Nissan 200SX
Ex: '93 Nissan Sentra 160GX - SR20VE

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Looks good dude

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Well after 5 years of owning the car and alot of repairs and upgrades i had the opportunity to dyno the car for the first time, so here are the results:

according to the owner of the dyno this is fairly accurate wheel kw.

Im quite happy with it as it did well and came close to some of the stronger cars of the day so all in all im quite happy and quite relieved to see that all my hard work didnt go to waste, nice to see positive results on paper.