300zx Made in Japan

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

antman
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: Other
Engine: VG

300zx Made in Japan

Post by antman »

Hi guys, here is my auto 300 zx TT rebuild which I started in 2009 to date. My friend had tasked a "reputable JHB tuner/builder" to do a fully forged bottom end and after getting the car back for some time and developing issues he dropped the sump and to his shock and dismay after paying thousands of rands (40) for a totally stock motor found the following.... no CP forded pistons, no eagle rods, no ACL bearings ect. This was the final straw for my friend and this is how I got my affordable performance jap car. Thank you very much "reputable JHB tuner/builder".

So I got to get my first "push drive" in my 300zx from my friends house 5 houses up the road to my house as the motor was in a million pieces on his garage floor.
The goal for this project was to have 300zx TT upgraded in all or as many areas as I could afford, I wanted at least a forged bottom end, upgraded turbos, manual transmission and lastly some cosmetic upgrades.

Phase 1 was to do a manual transmission conversion and as there are numerous parts required I bought a doner complete non runner 300zx NA and swopped out the required parts and luckily sold the car for the original price.
Never thought I would see this in my garage...2 zeds.

Phase 2 at the end of 2010 was the purchase of a locally sourced motor which looked good but when started sounded like a tin of nuts and bolts and smoked like the start up of a braai. So out came the motor and a full stock rebuild with affordable imported parts I got on ebay. The heads were reconditioned and I ported and port matched them as well as the inlet and exhaust manifolds. The stock turbos were rebuilt and balanced and once the motor was completed it was fitted and run in and then the boost was raised to 1 bar, ecu chipped and drove my 300zx for the first time under its own power.
This was now the temporary motor so that I could get the car mobile and sort out other issues as well as saving money for the forged build.
The rebuilt stock motor and gearbox was sold in 2012 to a racer in CT as I needed this cash to fund my endless money pit.

From 2011 to date I managed to collect all the parts I needed for the main build and was fortunate to acquire some pricey parts cheap.
The parts list as it stands:
Z1 GT2860RS ball bearing turbos
Z1 divorced turbo down pipes
Wiseco pistons 88mm
Eagle rods
ARP heads studs, main studs, fly wheel bolts
ACL mains and rod bearings
Cometic heads and manifold gaskets
OEM oil pump
700cc side feed injectors
Series 2 cams and VCT Cam gears
Stage 2 clutch and F1 light weight fly wheel
Apexi AVCR electronic boost controller
Full silicone pipe replacement
Alluminium radiator
Larger side mount intercoolers
Full Energy suspension polyurethene kit
BC coil overs
EBC 350z front discs
19' alloys and 275/30/19 rear and 235/35/19 front

Fitted the larger side mount intercoolers.

Phase 3 in late 2013 I started the forged motor rebuild and after checking a few engineering shops in the area I settled on Performance Balancing and really recommend them on their workmanship and favourable price and ultra neat and tidy workshop.
The block was decked to 50ar finish and rebored to 88mm, all welsh plugs replaced and water gallery to number 6 cylinder was de-flashed and opened up for improved cooling.
Complete bottom end was also balanced which hopefully will result in a smooth motor.

Sent the heads for pressure tests and stripped them down and did some form of gas flowing mainly on the exhaust ports and a little on the inlet ports and then sent away for 50AR skim required for cometics, 3 angle valve face cut and swirling.

The lower plenum was port matched to the heads as there was a lot of mismatch as seen by the carbon witness marks.
The stock exhaust turbo manifolds were also seen to as they were in some areas about 3mm mismatched to the heads and were also enlarged and sharp corners smoothed for better flow.

Assembly of the motor was a long process as I had to put it together from a box of 3 motors in pieces....thank goodness for the OEM workshop manual.
Started putting the series 2 manual cams in which have different duration but same lift as the auto cams, also fitted the series 2 cam gears.
Fitted the series-2 700cc injectors into the series1 fuel rail with adaptor kit.
Fitted Nissan cam belt as the forums in UK and Oz swear by OEM...so here goes.
This arrived from Concept Z performance....a lower opening thermostat (68 degree).
Got these delivered from the states at R200 cheaper than I could get locally.
Had a look at these Z1 down pipes and did not think that this bend in the pipe was so good.
So I cut that piece out and made a replacement piece and had a friend tig weld it.
So now the flow is less restrictive.
The motor is almost fully assembled now with new rear heater pipes. braided water and oil lines. I need to respray and fit the balance tube, flywheel and clutch and then its complete.
Last edited by antman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Riekert
The Overlord
Car: S13
Engine: VQ

Re: 300zx Made in Japan

Post by Riekert »

Awesome

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

The car is beautiful and worthy of the time and money you are investing.keep up the good work.

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

Nice. Good luck with completing the car.

I hope you kept those Veilside rims, they are very cool.

Why don't you name the tjooner that screwed your friend over? If you are afraid to do it, please pm the name.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

Nice going Tony, almost there.
197rwkw ,376nm

antman
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by antman »

Thanks guys, yes its almost there. I thought I would finish over the Xmas holidays but I have to do the holiday thing with the family. Will squeeze a few days in early Jan and at least get the motor in the car.

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S14

Post by fuzz123 »

Awesome work! I love these 300zx's, they are truely great looking unique cars!!

Keep it up [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac

Post by Charlvdw »

Did you get any further, Tony?
197rwkw ,376nm

antman
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by antman »

Thanks guys, well after spending time at the vaal river with the family relaxing (and longing to get back to the garage) I have managed to complete the motor, all vac, braided water and fuel piping fitted with new clamps.
Balanced the wastgate actuators as the passanger side is almost impossible to adjust with the turbo bolted on let alone fitted and in the engine bay.
Todays jobbie is to fit new spigot shaft support bush in crank and fit flywheel and clutch assembly.
Trial fit gearbox and fit gearbox support brackets and tighten into position. I found this a lot easier with the motor and box on the floor. Nice day to do it as its raining....my garage has a tin roof so its like an oven on a hot day.
The step after that is to respray the engine compartment and a couple of the various brackets and boost pipes to the coolers which I hope to complete in the next few days after which the motor and box must be fitted. I am just worried on the steering shaft to down pipe clearance as I know many have interference issues.
Anyway got to crack on.

antman
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by antman »

Did not get much done today due to visitors and my lazy ass. Got the motor off the engine stand and on to a support stand hanging on the block and tackle.
Fitted the new support bush in the crank and got the dust cover, fly wheel, clutch and pressure plate on.
Now I need to repaint the engine bay so that I can get the motor in.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac

Post by Charlvdw »

What color are you making the engine bay?
Could you do me a favour, can you measure the different sizes of your down pipes for me please?
197rwkw ,376nm

antman
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by antman »

Hi Charl, not going to change colour, only painting to remove some visable scratches, the rest of the bay paintwork is still good.
The waste gate outlet is od 38mm. the exhaust compressor outlet is od 50mm and the merged outlet od is 63mm,
hope this helps. If you going to make up a set rather make up a set make the merge of the waste gate exhaust merge further away to just before the DP flange to main exhaust flange. My DP also have the seperater piece between the waste gate and exhaust outlet.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac

Post by Charlvdw »

antman wrote:Hi Charl, not going to change colour, only painting to remove some visable scratches, the rest of the bay paintwork is still good.
The waste gate outlet is od 38mm. the exhaust compressor outlet is od 50mm and the merged outlet od is 63mm,
hope this helps. If you going to make up a set rather make up a set make the merge of the waste gate exhaust merge further away to just before the DP flange to main exhaust flange. My DP also have the seperater piece between the waste gate and exhaust outlet.
Thanks Tony, that does help.
I came across a 2,5" kit for a good price which I'll be bringing in, so the 3" DP's are on a hold for know.
197rwkw ,376nm

antman
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by antman »

Thats nice...do you have a pic of it.

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac

Post by Charlvdw »

antman wrote:Thats nice...do you have a pic of it.
Will get one and post it on my thread.
Just for interest sake, the flange that bolts onto the turbo, is it stainless as well, on your dp's?
197rwkw ,376nm