so you think you can map

Discussion of Managements and Mapping

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

so you think you can map

Post by viper cape »

:facepalm: So i find many people out there think they can map. I have come across people ridicule tuners (home) and (formal) alike. As many of you tune your own cars many understand that without the correct equipment and understanding people are merely making the best of a bad situation. The most important thing is to understand our shortcommings in respect to tuning and to figure out how to overcome those obstacles.
I have personaly found some good home tunes and shoddy formal tunes. There is no deffinate right and wrong in targets for tuning but one has to figure out what the engine setup wants.
I do however suggest that home tuners spend time on a loading dyno as it will open a world of new possibilities and alow you to look at tuning differently. It can however become addictive for the "perfect" tune. Remember it is not the be all and end all , it is a tool to help tune efficency and reliability into our engines.
Remember tuning ign timing with det cans is not accurate as octane , compression ratio, cam and cylinderhead and combustion chamber among others play a big role in creating powe and efficiency. This is more to enlighten people who do not know the basis of tuning. A good debate without finger pointing or naming would be great. Lets just help guys working with a budget to get their cars going until they can afford the next step.

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Re: so you think you can map

Post by viper cape »

Possible tools needed.
1 Wideband afr
2 Oldschool co meter or 5 gas analyser
3 knock sensor or det cans (so you do not destroy you engine)
4 exhaust gas temp
5 a good friend whos driving you trust or who trusts yours
6 all the other things i did not mention.

Remember the 5 gas can show onset of knock, just takes 10 seconds or so.(this can be used on dyno)

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator
Car: S13

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Nice thanks dude [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

lol for the day.
client "my turbo breaks everytime i boost over 1.2 bar"
tuner "sir your boost guage is under reading by 0.5bar so you are actually boosting over 1.7 bar."
true story

Lukem
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13
Engine: RB

Post by Lukem »

Nice info,

How long does it take you to map a sx from scratch? which ecu do you prefer to use on SR and RB's?

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Most sx i have mapped had heating issues before we even started. If you have a strong fan between fmic and rad the mapping goes quick. We use strong fans but fmic disrupts air flow.
As to mapping , most of the time is spent on off idle cruise , traffic style driving and highway efficiency. We regularly cool car between rev ranges. A great deal of time is then taken to do your in boost map. If the head is over ported or over cammed then engine efficiency is bad lower down causing quite alot of grappling with various afr and timing options. All in all you can expect anywhere from 1 hr to 3 hrs. If you spend 3 hrs then something is wrong. After mapping you need to alow time for engine to cool so you can work on cold start. We normally keep vehicle overnight to make sure this is correct.

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Most of us can map any ecu. The problem is you need to understand the limits of you current components and whatyour needs are versus budget. Dictator is very stable and spitronics is very smooth. Each system has good and bad points.just work thru it and make the best of it. Just be carefull of systems that spike. Use new wires and ecu, correct fuses and relays. Use a guy who knows what his doing and not someone who does it for a living but does not give i f. Wire completely seperate from vehicles wiring as you do not want anything creeping up and biting your ass for days at a time. There is no shortcut only the rite way. Other wise your car will be seen as a hack job.

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Remember to whatch wiring to cas as interference can cause a misfire especially on this setup. The positive to the cas must not be teed into injector or coil wires. I sometimes run a 12v home alarm battery to remove intereference from system if battery is moved to the boot.

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

So in the last 2 weeks we have received some incomplete or half cars to map.
If you make an appointment to map your car please at least check the following.
Accelerator cable
Fuel
Oil pressure switch in block , not in cubby hole.
Working fuel pump
Car can start, not have management fitted for r1500 then have to pay me to refit then tune.
To name a few.
Guys please do not waste your money with people who do not know what they are doing.