Another airfilter shoot-out. Be carefull what you buy!

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

phoenix s14
Over Boosting
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Another airfilter shoot-out. Be carefull what you buy!

Post by phoenix s14 »

Hi all,

In a quest to find the best parts for the health of my car I always look out for some information on oil, filters etc.

I found this nice PDF airfilter shootout with all the big names in the mix.

Hope it helps someone. make and informed choice. :wink:

http://esvc000116.wic047u.server-web.co ... %20Out.pdf
Weight kills all the fun - Jeremy Clarkson

aep886
SX Forumholic

Post by aep886 »

simota = best buy for us in SA^^ damn....

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

Personally would go with Apexi or K&N don't trust the cheapies... my 2c

Jason200
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Post by Jason200 »

Quite interesting results, especially when people laugh at the use of Simota filters.
But would still trust the big brands for longevity.

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting
Car: Other

Post by Pinkfluffybunnys »

Nice Find, but remember on a MAF equipped car the Air filter is very important and on a turbo car a Velocity stack is highly recommended.

Im now using the below intake on the SX and have seen a marked improvement

Blox Intake is very Impressive and very well built with a nice velocity stack.

Compare of Blox against a stock Cone filter

Filter:

Velocity Stack

Cynide's Old Intake:

Test intake:

2008 Mazda 6 MPS - Daily Drive
1\4 Mile:
1993 Nissan Sentra 200STI SR20VE – Mild VE
1\4 mile: 14.815 @153km\h @ ODI --- 1KM:195Km\h

Because Race Car

Pinkfluffybunnys
Over Boosting
Car: Other

Post by Pinkfluffybunnys »

Can Certain Performance Air Intakes Decrease Power? - Fact Or Fiction
Debunking Tuning Myths
From the July, 2010 issue of Import Tuner
By Luke Munnell
Photography by Luke Munnell

Regular readers will recall last month's testing of two Motordyne bolt-ons that successfully proved Helmholtz resonance can be used to increase exhaust gas scavenging and help your ride put out a few extra ponies compared to other aftermarket offerings. What we didn't get into was how problems on the intake side of our test-car equation nearly negated our power gains altogether, giving rise to the possibility that fitting your car with the wrong intake might bring power to below stock levels. Before we were finished with one tuning uncertainty, we had unwittingly unearthed another:

Can Certain Performance Air Intakes Decrease Power?
We had actually come across this problem before, when installing one reputable manufacturer's short-ram/cone filter intakes on a G37 for Power Pages back in June, '08, resulted in a loss of nearly 15 whp over stock. Since the G's VQ37DE was an all-new engine, we attributed the phenomenon to a tuning issue, re-installed the factory airbox, and left it at that. But when the problem reared its head again while testing Ken Kojima's '04 350Z last month-powered by a single-throttle VQ35DE engine-our curiosity was piqued.

The prevailing hypothesis is that cone-filter-equipped aftermarket intakes have a tendency spin incoming airflow into a vortex. If an engine's mass airflow sensor (MAFS) is positioned too close to a cone filter and doesn't feature a screen or grid before the sensor element to diffuse airflow (the 350Z one doesn't), the incoming intake charge can either strike it at a faster-than-normal velocity, tricking the MAFS into overestimating airflow, or flow around it, causing the MAFS to underestimate airflow. In the case of the MAFS reading too much airflow, too much fuel would likely be injected as a result, making for rich air/fuel ratios (AFRs) and decreased power. If the MAFS reads too little fuel, lean AFRs could occur, causing knock-sensor-tripping pre-ignition, and again, a loss of power.

"Another possibility," explained Tony Collette, Motordyne lead-man and innovator of last month's successful ART products, "is that certain short-ram intakes experience some high-speed air separation if they don't feature a built-in velocity stack." Like our hypothetical vortex spinning airflow into a fast, concentrated stream, the separation Tony's referring to occurs when air enters an intake with high speed and angle, and without the aid of a velocity stack to provide a smooth transition into the intake tubing, can't adhere to the walls of the tubing and causes air to condense into a fast-moving stream which could also prompt a MAFS to overestimate airflow. Since our AFRs became increasingly rich as engine speed increased, and the power loss was mostly top-end, "I'd bet that's what's happening," hypothesized Tony.

The Verdict:
While the amount of air flowing into a carbureted or MAP-sensor-equipped engine may be the only point to mind when selecting its aftermarket intake, how that air flows is every bit as important to a MAFS-governed engine. While we're still not sure if it was air vortices or air separation that tricked our 350Z into miscalculating mass air flow (or both), we do know two things: It was happening, and switching from our previous short-ram intake to AEM's long-tube Cold Air unit increased peak output by nearly 12whp, and gained power and torque from idle to redline. They say the proof is in the pudding; we say it's in the testing.

Thanks Import Tuner

Link: http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_10 ... to_05.html
2008 Mazda 6 MPS - Daily Drive
1\4 Mile:
1993 Nissan Sentra 200STI SR20VE – Mild VE
1\4 mile: 14.815 @153km\h @ ODI --- 1KM:195Km\h

Because Race Car

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

Am really thinking this info should be stickied... admins please?

Nice info PFB. I agree my 160GX '93 Sentra had a CAI and when I fitted a new filter with a velocity stack power and response improved considerably. (from not keeping up with a stock fuel injected 160Si to Pulling away from it) Huge difference. :wink:

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

done
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

poizen
200SX Maniac

Post by poizen »

''enough rice to feed whole of china''

FLANGA200SX
Slipping Clutch

Re:

Post by FLANGA200SX »

yo dude where you get the filter from
200sx s13 CA18DET working progress
Toyota Corolla GLS 160i 87Kw 150Nm

rb25detalex
Engine: RB

Re: Another airfilter shoot-out. Be carefull what you buy!

Post by rb25detalex »

hey guys.... ive had alot of different types on filters. and my choise is the k&n or simota, had them on my uno turbo, sentra 200sti and now my nissan sx rb25det

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

choice...

phoenix s14
Over Boosting

Post by phoenix s14 »

Apexi is a good filter. So is K&N but that Blox intake that PFB posted has all the best elements.

The list then:

Good quality filter good filtering capacity - dry material recommended with a MAF
Velocity stack.
As big a filter as what you can fit.
Stick it in a cool place or close it off from the hot air and feed it some cold air via some ducting.

DKSA
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by DKSA »

What size velocity stack would one go for a street driven sr20det aiming for a maximum tune eventually of 300-350hp? i see they range from 2" - 4"