Heat gauge reading?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Carsono
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Heat gauge reading?

Post by Carsono »

Hi guys im new.first post.problem.local running around car is fine.but when I drive long distance it heats up.with the ac on it heats up much faster.so tested radiator seems blocked.could c the fins blocked.replaced it with a 3 core gtr aluminium radiator.did get to drive it long distance again.but I wana know wer the heat gauge should be?at the moment its on dead center when its on operating temperature.plz help.

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Re: Heat gauge reading?

Post by Carsono »

Did I do something wrong?maybe I.shud have introduced myself first?or I posted in the wrong place?im new to the forum so if I did something wrong excuse me.guys again after my replacement off the radiator I did not get a chance to drive long distance.jst curious if my car is reading normal tem p if its in the middle.and the coolant pipes seems to be filled with pressure but I can squeeze them.not sure if normal.answers will be highly appreciated.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

No you did not do anything wrong, it was the festive season and the forum is not as active as it was in the old days, dead center is right, just for in case, replace the sensor although it was showing you that it was starting to overheat, so it should be fine.

Welcome!

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

replace the radiator withn a bigger one. Did you check the thermostat?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Thanks guys.iv replaced thermostat which I got from nissan.water pump is good.Viscous fan good.I counted the lines in the radiator there is 48 out off that only 12 was clear.rest blocked solid with rust kinda stuff almost looks like rusted metal flakes.But I dont understand why only on the freeway it overheated and with ac on its worse.after I replaced radiator I didnt get to drive long distance.wil do so this weeknd.wer can I find a new temp sensor?

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Dont know how to post pics.would have posted pics off radiator disassembled.new radiator is 3 core.aluminium.actually for a gtr R33 but fitted good on my car.are these aluminium radiators any good?could not find a stock rad anywer!!!!!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

The alu radiators are better than the ones that came out with ours, no problem at all. The temp sensor you can find at any midas or autozone, just take a sample, think the best make is "Echna" or something like that, cant remember the right name.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

water temp sensor for the ecu can be bought at midas if they dont have for a ca18 ask for a vg30 out of the 300zx it will be red
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Thanks guys I will go out tomorrow and get 1.will updat once iv taken a long drive this weekend

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Guys wher can I buy a viscous clutch for the ca18det.mine works but jst twt id change it to have peace of mind

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

as far as i remeber they are rather expensive will be cheaper to put 2 12inch electric fans

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Car is stock.wana keep it that way.and it isnt a problem but since ive redone my cooling system wud be nyc to get a new viscous inn.any idea wer I can.buy 1?

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

As far as I can remember the 1tonner/skyline has the same viscous.

Take a sample... http://hot4cold.co.za/viscous-fan-clutches/

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Hi guys so I drove the car this weekend all seems to be good.no heating up.but the radiator pipes looks like they going to burst.they also quiet hard.is this normal?but heat gauge sits jst below half way.is it normal for radiator hoses to get hard ?

Carsono
Slipping Clutch

Post by Carsono »

Thanks draco will have a look at those viscous fans.