Advice needed

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Advice needed

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

So i drove my s14 sr20det while driving like i stole it and then the car started to feel as if was limiting on 6700rpm. (limiter is 7200rpm). So i then went along and engaged neutral and the engine died. So i pushed her in 5th to start the car to get her home(1km from home). She was ildling rough on 3 cylinders. I stopped at home and opended her up and saw the plug was burned up. The tip and wire is missing from the plug.( iriduim plugs) . The engin made no noise or any strange sounds while struggling home. I then did a compression test and that cylinder is dead with no compression. The piaton does not look damaged from the top. What do you thing could be damaged?

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: Advice needed

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Detonation and that has resulted in the ringland failing depending on damage you may need a new block defiantly new pistons you may get away with oversize pistons but that can only be worked out once the motor is stripped hopefully your head is ok as detonation can destroy your head aswell
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

F@#k
I do fear the worst now. What could have cause the detonation?

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

SILVIA_S14 wrote:F@#k
I do fear the worst now. What could have cause the detonation?
Kak fuel.

197rwkw ,376nm

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

I was running 95 from total?

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

bad batch of fuel maybe when last was the timing checked? it could be to far advanced or your intake temps are to high or your car was overheating many things can cause detonation are you running stock setup?
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

Could't it be more likely to be that the headgasket k@ked and water came into the chamber and burst the spark plug because of the sudden cold and then it could be that the valve seat or valve it self could be busted. Because their is no oil in that chamber . This is just what im thinking....

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

is there oil in your water? i dont think so i stand by my first assumption

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

To be honest i did not have a look but i will check

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Have you got a compressor? if so connect it to the spark plug hole (must be under pressure i used my compression tester fitting) make sure that the valves are on their closed position then once the compressed air is in the cylinder it will escape where ever the problem is. so listen by your exhaust tip if you hear a hissing sound the exhaust valves are leaking if u hear hissing by the intake, intake valves are leaking hissing by the dipstick hole then rings or pistons are the issue if you get bubbles in the coolant its head gasket

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

Aaah oky thanx man ill look at that. Cause i used a compression gauge the last time where you just turn the engin to see if it has compression and it did not even pick up on the gauge. But ill try the other gauge with the compressor....

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

If the plug burnt away the exhaust valves has also burnt...if you did not see a lot of smoke, chances are your ringlands might be ok but if it burnt iridium plugs, the piston has to have some damage.

If you were limiting it all the time, chances are you dropped a valve and that caused the damage.

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

Yes well their was no smoke. I was limiting her a bit hahaha

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

But the piston looks fine from the top we had a look

SILVIA_S14
Slipping Clutch

Post by SILVIA_S14 »

This is the car's setup list

Energy suspension polyurethane bushes, KYB adjustable gas shocks, Tein springs, powerbrake GT disks, fast road pads, braided brake lines, Warlboro 255lt/h fuel pump, new fuel lines, Deusche Werke 810cc injectors, Cometic head gasket, ARP head studs, Greddy rocker arm stoppers, ACL big end bearings, S/S equal length turbo branch, Ichiba racing manifold,Garret GT3071 ball bearing turbo,Braided flex turbo lines, BMC 100mm cone air filter, Tial 38mm external waste gate, 76mm mandrel bent S/S exhaust,Magnaflow silencer, 53mm Koyo racing radiator, twin 12” flex a lite electric fans, Derail fan controller, Autobahn 88 full coolant hose kit, Devils own progressive water meth kit, Denso iridium spark plugs, Nismo engine and gearbox mountings, Oil catch tank, ACT 6 puck clutch, Apexi AVCR boost controller, APEXI standalone ecu D-Jetro with hand controller, AEM water temp gauge, AEM exhaust temperature gauge, Depo wide band digital air/fuel gauge, MB sprinter intercooler, GFB dumpvalve, Clear front indicators, 17” lenso D spec wheels, Yokohama R1 tyres.