Turbo upgrade

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Turbo upgrade

Post by NoisyBoi »

Hi Guys

I am a proud new owner of a 1992 Nissan 200sx s13 with ca18 motor. I would like to find out wat turbo can i fit to the engine without having to change internals as my current stock turbo has way to much play.
Fear is born when Desire dies!!!

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Re: Turbo upgrade

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Congrats on your car post a few pics. are you running stock engine management? if so no bigger than a t28 @ 0.8bar max. If you have standalone management then you can go for a more laggy t3t4 but will produce better power, @ 1bar max on standard injectors (and thats still pushing the injectors close to their limit) of course you will need a tune aswell.
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Vince
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: R34
Engine: RB

Post by Vince »

Welcome and congratulations on choosing a car that will make you smile and broke....

Your spoilt for choice with regards to what turbo you can install..... the best but most expensive is the Garret GT2860rs Disco Potato < another option is getting a garret T25g or T28 off the Sr20det and have it reconditioned. If your abit short of cash you can get a chinese GT28 turbo from Mr turbo, SUMP or Japan Auto. With these upgrades you will have to upgrade your downpipe to suit the turbo.

Dont boost more than 0.7 cos your CA will break and the stock injectors cant handle it anyway.

I dont know your goals but my advise would be dont spend too much on your CA , rather do a 1/2 Jz , RB25/26 or SR20 conversion.... bang for buck and reliable power do the Jz route.... unless your one of those guys who will only put a nissan motor in a nissan chassis. [smilie=200sx_2guns.gif] [smilie=200sx_angel.gif]

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch

Post by NoisyBoi »

thanx for the help guys. will post pics as soon as i know how to on this forum.

i wont put a 1j or 2j in this car as i had a twin turbo supra with endless problems so i officially will never touch one again. so would prefer to stick with nissan motor. will a t28 bolt directly on and wat can i expect to pay. i have original management due to change in march as i got the car stock except fot exhaust and dumpvalve and i am putting on rims first with bigger turbo.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

if you get a t28 from mr turbo then you will need to change oil feed (+-R400) downpipe (i payed R800) and then boost pipes might need modifying. if you get a t28 from a sr motor i stand to be corrected but i think downpipe stays the same. A t28 from mr turbo is R3500 new.
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch

Post by NoisyBoi »

cool, thanx for all the help guys. will probably go for the sr20 turbo then. any ideas on power gains? also ccan anyone help me as to how i go about uploading pics? would like to get your guys opinion on my rim choice for vehicle.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

their wont be huge gains but you will have boost throughout the full rev range it wont die off at high rpm like the t25
Attachments
image.JPG

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch

Post by NoisyBoi »

thanx,haha i fee like an idiot now.

what do you guys think would look better on my 200sx s13? Bare in mind wat ever rim i chose i will be having them sprayed gloss black.

sadly i cant afford the ROTA GRID or ROTA GTR as they range from R 10 000 to R 15 000 ex tyres. where as these range from R 3300 to R 4100
Attachments
sjw370.jpg
sjw370.jpg (34.34 KiB) Viewed 13204 times
AVA-135-MBKML-MAIN.jpg
AVA-135-MAIN.jpg

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

they all look good lol personally id go with the second 1

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch

Post by NoisyBoi »

i dnt no. the spokes look so skinny. im stuck on 1st pic but will change my mind if i get enough opinions. dnt want to make the wrong decision as rims are not something you change each month.

Obsession
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Obsession »

Vince wrote:Welcome and congratulations on choosing a car that will make you smile and broke....

Your spoilt for choice with regards to what turbo you can install..... the best but most expensive is the Garret GT2860rs Disco Potato < another option is getting a garret T25g or T28 off the Sr20det and have it reconditioned. If your abit short of cash you can get a chinese GT28 turbo from Mr turbo, SUMP or Japan Auto. With these upgrades you will have to upgrade your downpipe to suit the turbo.

Dont boost more than 0.7 cos your CA will break and the stock injectors cant handle it anyway.

I dont know your goals but my advise would be dont spend too much on your CA , rather do a 1/2 Jz , RB25/26 or SR20 conversion.... bang for buck and reliable power do the Jz route.... unless your one of those guys who will only put a nissan motor in a nissan chassis. [smilie=200sx_2guns.gif] [smilie=200sx_angel.gif]
Oooo crap, seems no one told my turbo or Motor that....Running 1.2bar everything stock except for a straight thru side pipe......15000km's and still going.... [smilie=200sx_angel.gif]
Uno Turbo(Stock) Stolen!
Uno Turbo(Worked to hell and back..) Sold
1961 ford Anglia Cosworth Sold
Nissan 200sx...Everyday drive..
E46 M3...clutch pack exploded!!!! Need gearbox...

What The F)ck Ever...

Obsession
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Obsession »

Ooo, and ever seen the Mobness SX, on a CA?
Uno Turbo(Stock) Stolen!
Uno Turbo(Worked to hell and back..) Sold
1961 ford Anglia Cosworth Sold
Nissan 200sx...Everyday drive..
E46 M3...clutch pack exploded!!!! Need gearbox...

What The F)ck Ever...

NoisyBoi
Slipping Clutch

Post by NoisyBoi »

so much to take in haha

so can you guys help in my rims choice? whats your favorite out of them????????

joey.lazarus01
Slipping Clutch

Post by joey.lazarus01 »

I ran 1 bar boost with stock everything untill my return pipe from the turbo decided it had enough for a oil situation and burst ran bearings ever since been having endless sh1t

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

Obsession wrote:
Vince wrote:Welcome and congratulations on choosing a car that will make you smile and broke....

Oooo crap, seems no one told my turbo or Motor that....Running 1.2bar everything stock except for a straight thru side pipe......15000km's and still going.... [smilie=200sx_angel.gif]
hehe.. me thinks you should invest in a accurate boost guage..
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar