Is my S13 Diff LSD?

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Is my S13 Diff LSD?

Post by troopiec »

Was doing some research but i could not find any part numbers for the S13 LSD, they show you a sticker on the LSD to show whether yours is or not but on a 20year old car a little sticker can easily be missing, so here is some photos of my diff and the numbers i found on it, hopefully one of the experts can tell me:

this is all i could see while laying under the car, my car does have the diff cooler etc, my sx has a sunroof aswell but theres so many opinions of when the sunroof came out and when the LSD diff came out etc, so i would like to compare numbers on the diff to really see.

Any info would be awsome thanks! [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

Drillergy
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Re: Is my S13 Diff LSD?

Post by Drillergy »

it's a viscous lsd.

Look for an orange dot on the right hand side of the dIff which will indicate it's a VLSD

nirvash
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by nirvash »

i mite be mistaken, but didn't all the S.A 200sx's have vlsd's?
:?
Time to nut up or shut up. RB25DET S13 (sold)

Current. CA18DET S13

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

Yes all our S13's had vlsd
Hot Plates are Sexy

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Ah thats good, i would like to see the orange dot but i could not find it, where on the diff on the right hand side is the sticker normally? around the half shaft area? or more to where the diff connects?

How does the open diff look in comparison? because on some forums they say the VLSD has a 5 nut half shaft and mine has the 6 nut

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

I found the sticker :D

above the full plug, its awsome to actually see it, now i know 101percent it is, some people told me if it had a sunroof then it wouldnt have LSD, aparently mine is a 1991 because of the sunroof and the lsd came out on 1992+? i duno, but i have one so im happy

Wanted
Slipping Clutch

Post by Wanted »

Sadly even if you have a vlsd, it doesnt work too well, mine sucked!!! Ken from Gear and axle center has just finished with my new clutch lsd and cant wait to try it, but can only comment in a few months time as im still far from finishing all the mods on my car
Power is nothing, without control

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

Wanted wrote:Sadly even if you have a vlsd, it doesnt work too well, mine sucked!!! Ken from Gear and axle center has just finished with my new clutch lsd and cant wait to try it, but can only comment in a few months time as im still far from finishing all the mods on my car
More info please.!

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk 2
sig[/sig]

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

Guys I know what lsd is but can someone please explain to me what exactly vlsd is?

NIZAN-R
Over Boosting

Post by NIZAN-R »

Viscous

Nissan 240SX Viscous LSD
The viscous type is generally simpler because it relies on hydrodynamic friction from fluids with high viscosity. Silicone-based oils are often used. Here, a cylindrical chamber of fluid filled with a stack of perforated discs rotates with the normal motion of the output shafts. The inside surface of the chamber is coupled to one of the driveshafts, and the outside coupled to the differential carrier. Half of the discs are connected to the inner, the other half to the outer, alternating inner/outer in the stack. Differential motion forces the interleaved discs to move through the fluid against each other. In some viscous couplings when speed is maintained the fluid will accumulate heat due to friction. This heat will cause the fluid to expand, and expand the coupler causing the discs to be pulled together resulting in a non-viscous plate to plate friction and a dramatic drop in speed difference. This is known as the hump phenomenon and it allows the side of the coupler to gently lock. In contrast to the mechanical type, the limiting action is much softer and more proportional to the slip, and so is easier to cope with for the average driver. New Process Gear used a viscous coupling of the Ferguson style in several of their transfer cases including those used in the AMC Eagle.

Viscous LSDs are less efficient than mechanical types, that is, they "lose" some power. In particular, any sustained load which overheats the silicone results in sudden permanent loss of the differential effect.[7] They do have the virtue of failing gracefully, reverting to semi-open differential behavior. Typically a visco-differential that has covered 60,000 miles (97,000 km) or more will be functioning largely as an open differential;[citation needed] this is a known weakness of the original Mazda MX-5 (a.k.a. Miata) sports car. The silicone oil is factory sealed in a separate chamber from the gear oil surrounding the rest of the differential. This is not serviceable; when the differential's behavior deteriorates, the VLSD center must be replaced.
She is not the CA that could be
She is the CA that IS
(O=O)/RS13\(O=O)
"if you only need one jack to raise your car, then your car isn't low enough"
"EVERYDAY I'M FLUTTERING!"

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

thanks a lot nizan-r no i know what a vlsd is, now for another question how can i test to see if my vlsd still works and if not where can i buy this centre story, and olso should you change your diff oil every now and then and if so what oil does one use, o sorry and also how do i know if the diff cooler is stil working thanks

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

will this sticker also apear on ths s14?
\

Charlvdw
200SX Maniac
Engine: SR

Post by Charlvdw »

There's a similar one on the z32
197rwkw ,376nm

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

actually the sealed viscous unit inside the diff IS serviceable with a lot of effort.. i saw a writeup a while ago (which i cant find now) in which a guy describes machineing the sealed unit open, replacing the spent silicone fluid, and with specialized welding sealing it again, but in retrospec probably more effort than it is worth..
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

that writeup should be an interesting read