Is drifting bad..........

It's all about going side ways YO!

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch
Car: S13

Is drifting bad..........

Post by VoodooMaster »

Is drifting bad for the car? How much harm can be caused to your car's engine? What can be done to minimise strain on your engine when drifting? According to many this is the perfect car for drifting. Makes me think what problems you'll have with less perfect cars.

Reason why I ask this is because whenever I tend to go sideways, my engine start to push up oil. I have fitted a catch tank for the oil which I have to drain all the time. However the amount of oil been pushed up is surprising and fills the tank is moments. I have also recently experienced noisy lifters after drifting a few bends.

Funny thing is that when driving the car really hard doing extreme top end or drags then I don't experience any problems.
The only thing better than going FAST,
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

How much oil do you put in the engine? just for interest sake...u neva know :oops:
sig[/sig]

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Someone told me that 100 race miles is like 1000 road miles, to me drifting is worse than racing. You are perminantly at high RPM with no load, at least with racing you are reving the car through the gears and running the motor down where braking.

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

I have tried with different levels of oil. Just below full then over filled even tried with half level. Same thing occurs. I would rather have to much oil in the engine than running too low. You can never allow the bearing to run dry. You know what might be the result if that happens.

KABOOOOOOOOM.
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

gee whizz... yesterday i lost one of the bolts that holds my front brake caliper on. that was fine until my disc nearly rubbed a hole through the caliper!!!

but i replaced it on the spot and carried on drifting.

i often get hydraulic lifter noise, but my they are 15 years old as far as i know, and i've been a bit lazy to replace the shot ones. i did replace the two hydraulic lifters at intake side piston 3, and now the same side piston two is noisy. but its a tedious job so i've ignored them hoping the problem will go away. the engine is hardly blowing any oil though.

tires - tires dont last!!!

and where have you been drifting???
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

I normally go drifting anywhere I can't see cops (LaHoora). Traffic circles, nice long bends in a previously quiet neighbourhood (HEHE sorry to the old couple taking a stroll at that Retirement home). And the winter is coming which means rains. Tires last longer.

Does anybody in Cape Town know who I can speak to in Traffic or Government in order to organise permission for a "legal" drifting event at a open parking lot.

What the correct procedure to follow in order to arrange permission to use a public area such as a parking lot at Stadiums of Malls?
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

VoodooMaster wrote:I normally go drifting anywhere I can't see cops (LaHoora). Traffic circles, nice long bends in a previously quiet neighbourhood (HEHE sorry to the old couple taking a stroll at that Retirement home). And the winter is coming which means rains. Tires last longer.

Does anybody in Cape Town know who I can speak to in Traffic or Government in order to organise permission for a "legal" drifting event at a open parking lot.

What the correct procedure to follow in order to arrange permission to use a public area such as a parking lot at Stadiums of Malls?
i dont know about procedure, but speak to ernie (pm him) cos he attends drift events once a month in CT.

he should be able to help!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

What Piiisses me off is that the rich gets these stuff sorted out with no hickups. Not long back a well known exquisite car dealer in Green Point blocks off a public road to allow classic racing cars to drive/parade up and down. Cops cordoned off the road with no hassle. Traffic disturbed and re-routed to alternate routes no questioned asked.

Now I wonder who got paid well for that to happen. And it is now a known annual event which has been happening for two/three years now.
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

Sokar
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by Sokar »

To sum up, drifting is the worstest most worst thing you can do to a car, at least when "racing" a car the manufacturers made a little consession that the car might be pushed every now and again, they didnt even dream of making them drift for a living.

The biggest strain is on the chassis and suspension parts, engine does take strain, but the RPM's arent that high (myself in full drift sits at about 5k rpm and never gets close to redline, never hit limiter in a drift either)

But its not all candy and ice cream, things break, especially things that you've either neglected or "spoeg and plaked" before. Make sure your car is tip top before you start and even then expect the occasional turbo gasket or clutch to go, as I keep saying, tyres are the cheapest part of the sport

One thing I've seen myself, if you sit back and save money to be able to drift one day, you'll almost never get there, just go for it and handle the shit when it comes afterwards.
Captain Slow to the rescue!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Sokar wrote:One thing I've seen myself, if you sit back and save money to be able to drift one day, you'll almost never get there, just go for it and handle the shit when it comes afterwards.
LOL - the same is true for parenthood!!!!

but he is right. although people think that catastrophic things are going to happen. like:

if i go drifting will my chassis tear itself apart??? maybe...

or will my wheel come off mid-drift??? oh wait... that happened to one of our members!!!

or, will i end up moving a pile of tires with my front bumper??? oh wait... that also happened to one of our members!!!

or, will i have a near miss accident with an oncoming purple ovaltrack car??? ok, that also happened...

ok, yes something bad might happen!!!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

And that is why I don'y have money to play this game

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Draco wrote:And that is why I don'y have money to play this game
but be careful and properly maintain your car and it will cost very little. like R50 per tire!!!!

widowmaker
200SX Maniac

Post by widowmaker »

is drifting bad?
well, i would compare it to the warts on my penis - sure they "may" be bad, but it sure adds a lot of fun to the whole thing.
that, plus the girls can't stop staring

i will upload a pic tomorrow...

VoodooMaster
Slipping Clutch

Post by VoodooMaster »

Thanks Widow (AKA ROUGH RIDER) for your input. Not exactly what the rest of us had in mind. I might have to see a psychologist after this but I am sure I'll be fine before 2010 just in time for the world cup.

And unless you hung like a stallion and your d!ck lies at an angle I can't see the comparisons. Cause Drifting is all about "LENGTH and ANGLE" of the slide.

PS. Save those pics for the chicks on Mxit.
Is Going FAST SIDEWAYS.

The Calibrator
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by The Calibrator »

The real reason your lifters get noisy? Its called low oil pressure the stock sumps were never designed to keep oil around the pickup while drifting.
2: how many of you have oil temp and oil pressure gauges?
The heat generated while at sustained high rpm and boost is intense high oil temps= low oil pressure.

The oil blowing out of the motor is because itsw tired and the sustained high rpm and boost causes plenty blowby past the rings which presurrises the crank case.

I cannot think of anything worse for your car and engine than drifting admittedly it is fun but be prepared to pay the bills.