New Turbo

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

New Turbo

Post by Draco »

Hi guys, the shitith has hitith the fanneth.... it seems the turbo that I had redone 4 times not more than 5 months ago is starting it's shit again, smokes while I'm idling when the engin just about hot and then goes away.

Last time this ment redo the turbo again.... it seems the turbo and my car does not like each other, so, I think I am going to buy a brand new slitely bigger turbo and have my manifold and stuff changed, any one knows where I can find a cheep T3/4 and someone cheep to redo manifold and down pipe?

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

I've seen alot of places selling T3/T4 hybrids for the 3.5k mark. But i think with the manifold and management your looking at alot of dosh.

but man is your car going to motor :D
sig[/sig]

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I can get a stage 2 T3/T4 hybrid for 3500 plus s/s manifold and down pipe, external waste gate and bigger intercooler +- R11000 for everything supplied and fitted, it seems if I want this BS with the smoke to stop I'll need to fork out the money. Maybe it's better than spending about R 1700 every 5 or 6 months to fix the T25 :?

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

11K :shock: ouch.

i got my 2nd T25 from Francois Muller on the mailing list. He had a T3/T4 with intercooler and mapped for 6.5k i believe. Not sure if he's still on the mailing list or whats happening. Very neat car. Cant remember where he stayed either, something with a R i think, couple hours away maby
sig[/sig]

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

6.5K that seems almost impossible, that is if everything was supplied and fitted, remember, I take my car there, they do everything and I pick it up copleted tuned everyrhing

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Can't explain it, yesterday after work I decided I am going to drive the car a bit more aggressive than I did before, I use to basically idle to work and back, never realy reving over 2000 revs for the petrol you know.

Did't see any smoke when I slowed down or idled, maybe the turbo needs to work a bit harder... all I can think is because the car is driven so slowly the turbo heats up too slowly meaning before the seals heat up and seal off the oil properly some oil is able to get through into the exhaust housing and when it aventally heats up it starts burning the oil out the exaust. Will see for how long my theory holds up.....

Any other explanations?

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Okay, now your problem is not turbo related, but owner and supply :)

You need to do/check the following

* Clean up the oil feed, the stock one can get blocked very easily.
* Low oil pressure
* Blocked/restrictive oil return
* Old oil - do a filter & oil change every 5000km
* Try using a synthetic oil, if you are using a mineral oil
* Let your engine idle for a while when before you shut it off - if you have been riding in boost before you stop, let the engine idle for 2-5mins
* Fit a BOV, compressor surge lessons the life of a turbo - me guilty here as well
* Let your turbo warm up first before you start pushing it... Try not to drive in boost till your car is in operating temperature

If yo do the above, your turbo will last for ages... You can always just buy a rebuild kit and service the turbo your self, depending on how badly its been damaged...
Hairdresser MX5

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Thanks for the advice Vlade, my problem is sorted, it was the same as the smoke and oil topic posted, my engine could't breathe properly, I took out the copper washer out of my right hand tappet cover breather pipe going to the turbo air intake and walla.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Aaaah had that too, I was smart enough to plug the hole in my plunum and blocking off some of the breathers, thus resulting and a crap load of smoke!

Cool, glad it was something simple
Hairdresser MX5