Charl: My rebuild and questions

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Post by Draco »

While we on the 20 questions thing, Charl wanted to ask how the throtel body sensor works and what it does presisely, what would it influence if Charl shifted it to the back or the front.

Sokar
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by Sokar »

Charl wrote:are hydrolic lifters parts that need replacing as often like bearings or something like that... or should they be good for plenty km's? they're not warn on the outside, but I'm wondering about the inside. don't know anything bout these lifters. are their tell tale signs that let u know somethings wrong with them?
You only need to replace/service lifters if they are noisy, they are about R300 from nissan and you have 16 of them!
Captain Slow to the rescue!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i recently heard those damn lifters are R550 each. somebody recently went to nissan to ask!

thats R8800.00 for a set.

its cheaper to buy a whole import ca18det, use the lifters that are good, and sit with a whole bunch of spares in a box in your garage!

maybe somebody should do that... open a used nissan spares shop, buy a crap load of import motors - break them up - and sell the working bits to okes like us!!!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Derek-son wrote:While we on the 20 questions thing, Charl wanted to ask how the throtel body sensor works and what it does presisely, what would it influence if Charl shifted it to the back or the front.
Don't we know or we stuck on lifters...u know Charl doesn't have all day, he needs this info

Charl
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Charl »

Derek-son wrote:While we on the 20 questions thing, Charl wanted to ask how the throtel body sensor works and what it does presisely, what would it influence if Charl shifted it to the back or the front.
I did ??? :roll: :? :wink:
200SX Catch my DRIFT?

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Yup u did....it seems ur ulsimers are acting up again.....focus man...fight it

Charl
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Charl »

My knock sensor didnt have the wire attached to it. Did it fall of or was disconnected because im not running the nissan management system.
Just want to know if i have to connect it?
200SX Catch my DRIFT?

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Without a knock sensor, the ECU cannot determine if the car is running optimally. It normally advances timing till it senses knock, then retards it quite a bit, then slowly advances again, and so on. That way, if you get higher octane petrol (e.g. 95 or you add octane booster or methanol or fuel system cleaner), then it can make the most of it by advancing timing.

So, YOUR CAR IS NOT RUNNING OPTIMALLY :(
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

The Calibrator
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by The Calibrator »

Please remember that Charl is running Dicktator and it has absolutely no input for knock sensing.
In fact if you want knock sensing in a stand alone you need to start thinking spending upwards of R25 000.

Charl please do yourself a favour and download the CA18 FSM from the nizmo forum.
Read it thoroughly, trying to rebuild your engine from internet advice is a recipe for disaster as it is full of know it alls who actually have no experiance and very little knowledge except dreck they regurgitate as fact.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

funny that?!?!?!

Charl
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Charl »

On a different note :roll:
My whole motor is stripped. Only need to get the parts now. But till then plenty cleaning and scrubing and hand lotion is needed :oops:
see, some parts are nice and shiny 8)

I found that by leaving the lifters upside down on layers of news papers drain them nicesly. but this literaly takes a week. just move and shake them around every day.
me not have a vice :evil: will make plan though!!!

Other thing for who ever is also building. after cleaning some of the parts, they started rusting quikly. so either leave it till the very end, or coat the part in a litle oil which im doing. then later clean that off.

200SX Catch my DRIFT?

Charl
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Charl »

Scrub a dub dub

200SX Catch my DRIFT?

Phinx
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Phinx »

oil change....

Why wasn't the oil changed? The lifter can be rebuilt,I have done that on my CA
A.K.A - Wonderboy
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1993 Nissan 200 SX
148 Kw - 250 NM @ 0.55 bar. 1.8T ATW
1989 Toyota Corrola
63kw - 117nm 1.3- N/A
18.2 @118,4 Km - Rainbow Raceway

Charl
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by Charl »

it looks bad eh...
not guilty... the motor is in a real bad state. no wonder the bearings went... its like it was never serviced. but all will be good soon
200SX Catch my DRIFT?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

a couple of things to note here:

cleaning things wont make them rust straight away. leaving any iron or steel bits wet will cause them to rust. try drying them, and then oiling them if they have to be oiled, or if you have to use a solvent to clean them, use one that evaporates without leaving a residue.

those hydraulic lifters have been removed and then left upside down. the FSM (nissan manual) very clearly states to store them the correct way up, or else they will fill with air, and be noisy when the engine is started and running.

another thing is the inside of that tappet cover - its filthy. once this engine is repaired - promise to change oil more often!

and lastly - think about how you want your engine bay to look, because now is the perfect time to change things. i've polished most things in my bay, or sprayed them black. so mine is very much black and a sortof chrome look. Vlade's painted his bits gold and that also looks wicked - something i have seen before. toby is keeping his stock, but has resprayed some of the prominant bits - and it looks great too!!!

lata
vc