Thermostat controls the water temp

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Thermostat controls the water temp

Post by WooHaa »

Please bare in mind that the temparature of your car is controlled by a mechanical thermostat & that is what regulates the water in the system.
Remember the original mechanical fan is always running, but it's the thermostat that will control how much water to let thro & get cooled.

You can run both fans from the minute you start your car, the thermostat will still regulate the water & temp.

To make the car run cooler, you need to change the thermostat. These cars come with two, one opens at 82degrees & the other at 74degrees. Both can be purchased from Nissan, but be carefull to state the 74degree on. Also it is written on the thermostat itself.

Modified my existing thermostat to open sooner, runs alot cooler, but also take into consideration that the car will birn richer at idle because it thinks the motor is cold.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Sorry guys the above was a reply to the eletric fans coversion done by Derek-son.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

WooHaa, how did you modify your thermostat?

Jay_boy
0.3 Bar Boost
Engine: SR

Post by Jay_boy »

Hi guys, if your gonna do the electric fan convertion make a bypass switch asswell so if you know your gonna drive her hard or do some drifting you can bypass the termo and switch them on manually cos drifting puts allot of strain on the motor and there is not that much airflow over the radiator!! just a thought :wink:
Sucks gas and hauls ass! Catch my DRIFT????

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Sorry for the very late replies, but I'm always busy at work & hardly on the net.

If you pull out the thermostat you will find a foundation that the valve sits on. I bent this foundation a little so that itopens a little more than usuall.

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic

Post by Ero_sennin »

Ive got 12" electric fans on my radiator now aswell, they are connected to the Ignition with a relay, so basically if the car is on the Fans are on.Runs somewhat cooler than the mechanical fan wich runs the whole time anyway aswell.
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

What you have is correct. remember the reason Nissan put a mechanical fan is that it runs all the not only to cool the water inthe radiator but the oil in the oil cooler.

If you your fan only comes on after a certain temperature then that's fine for water but not oil.

You car runs at 82 degrees & at that time your oil is running at 90degrees plus.

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic

Post by Ero_sennin »

where is the oil cooler?
Ill put a mini fan on it :D
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

its not really a oil cooler. more of a heat exchanger. it sits by your oil filter and has water pipes running through it to cool the oil. It does basically next to blow all. The Jap spec engines dont even have them. Best bet would be to get a nice replacement. but theyr expensive :cry:
sig[/sig]