Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

WarrenS13
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by WarrenS13 »

Great to hear Toby, hopefully you've got yourself thousands of trouble free motoring! :D
The only way forwards, is SIDEWAYS

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by qewrty »

Toby wrote:Just some feedback from my run-in so far. Done about 320km so far, and it's looking good. Car feels strong and smooth. Had a bit of a scare earlier when I thought that the engine vibrations were back, but the more I drive it, the smoother it's getting. There's a bit of lifter noise under load, but even that's getting quieter as the engine runs in. Looking forward to the 500km milestone :)
I think 1 lap around Jhb from the N1 to the N3 to the N12 and back to the N1 should be good for about 150km's? ;) Or use the national roads to build your own circuit. Traffic is getting bad though, even on weekends. I don't drive around enough to know what times would be better but I'm guessing early saturdays and sundays would be best.
S14, bb gt2871r, 0.7 bar boost, status: hmmm, well, she starts but.. :roll:

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Hehe thanks for the tip, ya traffic's a problem. Did a 50km drive to Benoni and back this weekend, and no overheating problems :-)
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Rezlo
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Rezlo »

Vlade wrote:well we took off two from the conrods they both were the same...

those Wax strips, where do you get them?
Its called plastigauge, alert sells it.

Did you guys have the cast pistons termal coated?

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

If you've been following the topics on this forum, you would've read this topic:

http://200sx.za.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... c&start=30

in which I describe how my car spectacularly blew up on the Zwartkops race track. Well, rebuild number 3 is under way! Details will follow soon.
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

3rd rebuild? Did I miss one? More like 2.5 :lol: Second was just a better fitting bearings
Hairdresser MX5

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Vlade wrote:3rd rebuild? Did I miss one? More like 2.5 :lol: Second was just a better fitting bearings
In my book, taking out the engine, (partially) disassembling the block, then putting it all back together counts as a rebuild :-)

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Engine, Engine, Number 3

It was a beautiful day out there in Zwartkops, perfect weather for some engine breaking:

The SX was at it's peak, ripping tar as best it could:

But, alas, it was all too much, and the poor thing had to be towed home after the engine blowout:

Two months of mouring later, it was time to dig in and start the next rebuild. First the stripping of the engine and gearbox. I did this in about 4 hours without so much as a scratch on my hands!

Then to attach a chain to the roof, for the block and tackle:

Some over-engineering was used on the contraption in the roof. Took a day just to build that thing and put it in the roof (boy was it hot up there!)

And it all worked like a charm when pulling out the engine:

I was really happy that the roof didn't cave in:

Boys will be boys...

And here we are! The damage!

Gee, I wonder if that piston crown is thick enough? Stupid piston!!

Some head damage is evident as well, so it will need to be re-engineered:

More pictures can bew viewed here:
http://200sx.za.net/200sx/index.php?opt ... &Itemid=38

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

So the next step is to take the block & head to the engineers that supplied the piston, and get them to fix it all. They did say they would refund piston and engineering costs if it was their fault. I think it's obvious that it is their fault.

Rezlo
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Rezlo »

As I said, I wouldnt give them 10 000km's before they burn threw, but no one listened and it looks like my post was deleted, more than likely because it "offended" somone that said it would work.

Its so obvious it would happen, but as usual, the people dont listen to advise, and not just from me, thats probably why other people left as well.

wait till you see nice chinese rods popping threw blocks at less power than the stock ones would hold, and remember that you were pre-warned.

Sorry to see Toby, and to others, maybe youll realise its far cheaper to do it once right, than to have to redo it 3 times over.

SlowMo
Slipping Clutch

Post by SlowMo »

Rezlo wrote: Sorry to see Toby, and to others, maybe youll realise its far cheaper to do it once right, than to have to redo it 3 times over.
Amen to that, I've been bitten once, never again.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Rezlo we only delete personal attacks and offensive content... So you post must be here somewhere.

See with what you mean its paper thin Toby, Don't worry they'll pay for there cockup...
Hairdresser MX5

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

hey no fair, everybody is getting a handy engine crane thingy in there garages...i dont even have a garage

:lol:
sig[/sig]

Ero_sennin
SX Forumholic
Engine: SR

Post by Ero_sennin »

lol , same here
SONY Xplod inside
SR20DET Powered Red RS13

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

hey tobles

thats hectic man, but such a nice neat hole!!!

nice work in the roof too!!!

good luck with the engineers - i hope you recover some costs!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already