Project C - Also not 56k friendly!

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Toby
Club Founder
Car: S13

Post by Toby »

Don't have an oil pressure guage, but the oil light was off :-) I have no reason to suspect any problems with oil pressure, but I can't guarantee that it was fine either.
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Maybe the oil pressure was low and that cause you to run the bearings??

johansx
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by johansx »

To quote Mr Calibrator.... take the parts to Allan Y Brink in Pretoria. They will give you the correct advice and fix whatever the problem is. :wink:

Looks like the bearings size is incorrect, too small and possibly some contaminants in the oil feed. My 0.02 Zim$ :wink:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone...

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Gary57 wrote:Maybe the oil pressure was low and that cause you to run the bearings??
So do you think that I ran bearings there? I figured there's a bit of wear from maybe an incorrect sized bearing or badly grinded crank. I'm windering if I continued to run the engine, would it wear more, or settle?
Red 200SX S13, 1992, stock. <a href="/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=332">Engine rebuilt (click)</a>.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

They will settle but only to distroy the crank. The white metal coating is gone, so they throw away.

I am not sure if you ran the bearings because of incorrect sizing of the crank only a "mic" will tell. Maybe go buy one, you can get a decent one for around R300, always nice to have.

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

What's a mic?

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Micrometer. A tool used to gauge objects, like a vernier but more accurate.

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by qewrty »

Damn Toby, didn't know you were also having some issues :(
S14, bb gt2871r, 0.7 bar boost, status: hmmm, well, she starts but.. :roll:

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Yep, looks like you have to even grind the crank yourself, can't trust other to do that for you :evil:

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Got the crank back, got bearings, got a new pulley... :D

Crank was inspected by Allen Y, they said it was fine, they couldn't check clearances since I couldn't supply any rods, but that should be fine too.

He said I must just double check my torque settings and try again, they were not at all surprised by bearing wear and said that was so little it doesn't matter... :shock: Coming from a seasoned professional I guess I'd take his word for it
Hairdresser MX5

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

Allllrighty Then!

We put some effort into it this weekend, Fitted the new set of AE bearings and put the old crank back, must say it went flawlessly.

Saturday we finished the engine build, and had the engine in the bay, when a comment aired "Hey what does this part do?", Toby noticed that we forgot the gearbox back plate (the galvanized plate that keeps the dust out of the bell housing)... With morel down the drain we said to continue on Sunday.

Sunday started with a lekka breakfast and then to dropping in the engine, we struggled quite a bit to align the engine and gearbox. But once in everything went fine.

Car started at 3, did about 20km's with new bearings, no issues so far
:D
Hairdresser MX5

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Beat me to it Vlade :-) Ya drove it this morning to work and it all seems good. Bit early to say, but for now, the vibrations and noises are all gone! So it's back to running in the engine. The rings have already done about 200km now.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Shhhh not too loud dont want "he who must not be named" to hear :lol: .

Great work guys.

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

so you guys also had a weekend full of tinkering with cars. sokar and i also got bruised and broken modifying his e30.

but yeah, thats awesome toby.

tis good to have mates like vlade.

well done guys and all the best for the run-in, i hope there are many more miles to be had!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Toby
Club Founder

Post by Toby »

Just some feedback from my run-in so far. Done about 320km so far, and it's looking good. Car feels strong and smooth. Had a bit of a scare earlier when I thought that the engine vibrations were back, but the more I drive it, the smoother it's getting. There's a bit of lifter noise under load, but even that's getting quieter as the engine runs in. Looking forward to the 500km milestone :)