SR20DET TB Modification to replace CA18DET TB

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

ChemCool
SX Forumholic
Car: S13

SR20DET TB Modification to replace CA18DET TB

Post by ChemCool »

First of all thank you to Derek who gave me the sr20 TB. hehehe... I think it is a tb from SR20?

And thank you to my number 2 Jandre, who has done the lathe and metal work for me.

The idea was to length the existing SE20 tb butterfly shaft to ensure we can re use the existing ca18det TP sensor. Why, because no body on this forum answered me on my question on the TP sensor of the sr20. My question was :"Can the sr20 TP sensor be used as is on our ca18 engines?"

Then I started to measure the sr20 TP sensor wires with an AVO meter(multimeter) and there were no comparisons. So, of course I decided to modify the sr 20 TB to fit our ca18 TP sensor. 8)

ImageImage

[/img]

More pics to follow 8)
Last edited by ChemCool on Tue May 06, 2008 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Re: SR20DET TB Modification to replace CA18DET TB

Post by veecee »

ChemCool wrote:
So nobody replied !! :cry:

Then I started to measure the sr20 TP sensor wires with an AVO meter(multimeter) and there were no comparisons. So, of course I decided to modify the sr 20 TB to fit our ca18 TP sensor. 8)
not entirely true...

i'm quite sure that sokar told us that phinx did this mod, but that the CA18 TPS didnt quite fit nicely. so phinx had to mod something to make it work.

i must say though, that doing it on a lathe looks far more "professional" than doing it with pratley steel!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Ok I will delete that info. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
but that the CA18 TPS didnt quite fit nicely.
Well the more I read your quote, the more I differ again. Nothing was said about the wiring of the TPS.

But please, let such a minor issue don't spoil the nice spirit of this forum :lol: :lol: 8) Or I can always refrain from posting the piccies??? :lol: :lol: :lol:
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

ChemCool wrote:
As I'm such a helpful guy here is a nice alternative, the SR20DE throttle body will also bolt right on, you just need to extend a shaft for the TPS, a mate did this with a pipe and some pratley steel, this gives a nice compromise between the 2,
So Sokar, you telling me that the tps of the sr20 tb, wont do the job for a direct replacement. Is the tps of the sr20 so much different then? To high voltages or what you think? I mean this extension of the shaft sounds like a messy not lekka job.

Chem 8)
you're right - no-one answered your question about the TPS output voltages, but the bit about extending the shaft with pratley steel and a pipe is there!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Here we go again. Some more piccies.

The wiring on the sr 20 TPS

Here we can see the finished piece of metal extension:

The ca18 TPS fitted nicely and precise.

So? Does it do something for my sx power wise? I still dont know?

Chem

8)
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

you're right - no-one answered your question about the TPS output voltages, but the bit about extending the shaft with pratley steel and a pipe is there!
Now we are on par. :lol: :lol:

Chem 8)
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

While we on the voltages topic. Also I could not measure out or identify the idle switch wires compared to ca18 det. And the kilo ohms reading on the sr20 tps does not correspond to 1 to 9 k ohm reading of the FSM ca18det either. It goes up like to 40 kilo ohms. I don't know if this is useless info tho. I could have approached it totally wrong?

Chem 8)
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

hey chem,

you might not be able to say anything about the power increase...

but we can all say that your modding skills have improved by leaps and bounds!!!

that is some awesome work there mate!

well done!

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

my bek hang oop!... That looks blerry well done! :shock:

Just make sure you increase the size of the plunim intake in-conjunction with the new TB... :wink: Sure you'll see a power increase
Hairdresser MX5

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

I wish I could do that for my sx.....enjoy Freddie, hope the end result impresses you :wink:

Again.....that sun of yours is a geneous!!!!!

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Chem can you feel any difference in the car since the change?? I have been doing a few calculations and I cant see how changing to the SR20DET TB will improve power or torque much.

ChemCool
SX Forumholic

Post by ChemCool »

Ok. Gary. As I have mentioned. I dont know if there is any power increase. Even the butt dyno is not lekka. Why? Since my rebuild, the sx must be dyno tuned. Also keep in mind me running with no fmic. The turbo pipe is a stainless steel 75 mm. Surely now it fits better on to the sr20 TB than with the stock one. But also with my setup, I exit from the turbo outlet with a reversed reducer silicon connection towards the stainless turbo pipe and then onto the sr20 tb as is now. So in my simple terms, I only scored the bigger mouth of the sr20.

But now you dudes all asking questions? I admit the following: I followed something perhaps not investigating it enough and is perhaps only running after false hope??? I thought it is all about the floowwwwwww!!!? :lol:

And again, I hate the different schools here again. But let us learn from this.
I am open for negotiations.

Wish I had the cash to dyno and get finish with it.

While I was replacing the sr20 TB, I also removed the unconnected idle pressure sensor underneath the TB. That part which still belongs in the dustbin since I went the VC Route(which works just fine) :lol:

So Gary, you are welcome to tell us about the calculations. I will revert back to stock if it proofs negatively.

Chem 8)
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

ChemCool wrote:I am open for negotiations.
cool - if you organise a ceasefire in the middle east i will take 10 for the price of 20???

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Yeah Freddie the gains are not worth the hassels hey, unless you are running huge boost you wont see a major gain, well not in the seat of your pants anyway.

Doctor G
0.7 Bar Boost

Post by Doctor G »

Nice work.

I dont' see a big difference between the two TB's though. What is it? 5mm?

Also, that TPS on the SR20 TB is def from a DET. The std DE TPS has 3 wires only. I have a spare so I'll also do soem measurements on the voltages when I have a moment.