What is next for my ride...

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

285 on a 7j rim?????

Thats gonna look like too much rubber over too little wheel dont you think?

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i didnt say put them on your rims numbnuts!

that'll never work!

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

I must say the reason why it plays so easily is coz I have 40 profile tires, thus my side wall is 40% of the width of my tire which is 215, so that means 86mm. So little side wall means no side wall flex and thats why its not twitchy but just spins the insides off!

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

VC what size did you run on your old 17" mags? And where they 7J?

Sokar
1.0 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by Sokar »

HancoB wrote:So tonight I could test the new bits on nice dry tar and then later on wet tar.

At about half past 7 I went to fill up, got out from the engen garage while stile turning left and kicked the clutch...the back stepped out to the right but in such a nice gentle and well manageable way, I wait until I get the side ways angle that I want and then counter steered to keep it there, then brought the back around to the other side and still fully in control and counter steering it the other way.

keeping on the throttle and bringing the back in slowly till its straight. Then slam on the brakes and stop at the red traffic light! looked back and there was two fat lines in the road in a nice big S form.

Then went to have some Sushi with friends and when we got outside it just stopped raining. Dropped my date off for the night and on the way back just played with the hand brake and clutch kick in second and third gear.

I'm am not the best of best drivers out there, many of you will be so much better than me but OMG it is just so controlable. People wont believe me when I type it here, you have to experience it yourself.
My same experience when I drifted bruno's car with the tien coilovers the first time. I had drifted a few S13's at that point, all were basically stock and I could feel where the limits were, but his car was a different animal, so so so easy to control in the slide, suddently the limits were gone and felt as if I was holding the car back!
Captain Slow to the rescue!

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

Sokar wrote:
HancoB wrote:So tonight I could test the new bits on nice dry tar and then later on wet tar.

At about half past 7 I went to fill up, got out from the engen garage while stile turning left and kicked the clutch...the back stepped out to the right but in such a nice gentle and well manageable way, I wait until I get the side ways angle that I want and then counter steered to keep it there, then brought the back around to the other side and still fully in control and counter steering it the other way.

keeping on the throttle and bringing the back in slowly till its straight. Then slam on the brakes and stop at the red traffic light! looked back and there was two fat lines in the road in a nice big S form.

Then went to have some Sushi with friends and when we got outside it just stopped raining. Dropped my date off for the night and on the way back just played with the hand brake and clutch kick in second and third gear.

I'm am not the best of best drivers out there, many of you will be so much better than me but OMG it is just so controlable. People wont believe me when I type it here, you have to experience it yourself.
My same experience when I drifted bruno's car with the tien coilovers the first time. I had drifted a few S13's at that point, all were basically stock and I could feel where the limits were, but his car was a different animal, so so so easy to control in the slide, suddently the limits were gone and felt as if I was holding the car back!
Very true, it does feel like the car can do so much more...just depends on if you have the balls!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i was told they could just get a 235 on depending on the brand!

also - that story of your side profile being 40% the width of your tire. i dont think the calcuation works like that. i mean a 40 profile on a 215 is a fairly small thing - its like having a rubber band around your rim...

then you say its 86mm - 8.6cm??? dude that seems way to big.

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

remember that is in perfect conditions. the sidewall is rounded so thus looking smaller but it is actually that.

Wiki says this:

"2 digit number: The "aspect ratio" of the sidewall height to the total width of the tire, as a percentage. If this is missing, it is assumed to be 82%. If the number is larger than 200, then this is the diameter of the entire tire in millimeters."

* Aspect ratio: 50

This is the height of the sidewall from the rim to the tread, expressed as a percentage of the tread width.

For example, if the tire is 205 mm wide, and its aspect ratio is 50, then the sidewall is about 102.5 mm tall (50 percent of 205 mm).

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

go back and look at your tires - doesn't the aspect ratio look like its closer to 10/205???

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

Ok, I'll go measure it and tell you but those are the calculations that all the tire manufacturers use all around the world.

But just for fun lets measure it and see!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

lol - its not that i dont believe your research - i'm just saying visually it doesnt seem right.

i wonder if the bit of the sidewall that goes inside the mag also counts! probably!

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

ha ha VC actually you are right, it does and the amount of tread you have left makes a huge difference.

But according to international standard thats is how they do it, as I say that is in perfect conditions.

Same as stretching tires over mags, this decreasing the sidewall and drifts easier. Thats why all the D1 guys use stretch method! I think...

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

OK so its been a long time since I really did something to my car with all this exams and things going on.

I fitted a short shifter and a drift spin knob(these are awesome little things)

But thats just all small mods.

I'm doing my FMIC and piping and SSQ BOV before 22 November.

Lets see what the mod does to the power figures.

Will keep you posted! :wink: