VLSD the myth...

It's all about going side ways YO!

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

VLSD the myth...

Post by Vlade »

"The viscous coupling unit, is a self-contained unit inside the diff housing. This would suggest that changing the diff fluid only affects the pinion and diff gears, not the coupling unit, but I can't tell for sure."

"The oem VLSD deficiency becomes exponentially anemic with the ever thirst for bigger and stickier tires. The 'limited slip' capability becomes less affective due to the light duty nature of these VLSDs. The non-serviceable viscous fluid in the core also deteriates with abuse over time. Unlike clutch-packed LSD, no amount of differential fluid change or additives will have any impact."

Bottom line we are f#cked :roll: Nothing you can do about it unless you got R8000 spare :D to buy a clutch type LSD
Hairdresser MX5

Gary57
Club Rep
Car: S13

Post by Gary57 »

I know a few guys who have changed their diff oil and put the normal EP90 gear oil and their diff dont work no more. They worked before after the oil change - nothing.

I had to take mine back to the agents to change the diff oil because you cant buy it anywhere.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Ummm the oil should have no effect on the VLSD though if its the correct grade GLI-5 or something...

That viscous coupling is a sealed of unit so no oil change can affect it.

That is what the myth is, I read up this morning on how to service the damn thing since mine is doing what everyone else is doing, not-working so good after 15 years. And to my shock one can't do anything with it... Yeah you can change oil but it won't help it lock better.

I'd really like it to lock more, on Saturday I destroyed one tire in the drifting the other is smooth but should wear the same as the other.
Hairdresser MX5

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

Surely even if it does lock properly inside tire will be less worn than the outside, seeing that there is more weight on your outside tire.

Just my thought. When doing oval track racing that was the case.
Rolling Thunder..........

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Well I know Trans-Axle here in DBN can service and repair them, they did one already. They fixed a mate of mines, whose didnt work after changing the oil, they said WRONG OIL.

Sokar
1.0 Bar Boost

Post by Sokar »

Vlade wrote:Saturday I destroyed one tire in the drifting the other is smooth but should wear the same as the other.
Story of my life! I've read somewhere that and RWD car naturally puts more power on the rear left (or was it right) and you cant do much about it, even a solid axle, the torqing of the motor will still put alot of "weight" on one side, like in this pic...

I just end up rotating the "good" tyre to the bad side and pop on another drift tyre (I got 4 identical spare rims)
Captain Slow to the rescue!

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

I've read somewhere that and RWD car naturally puts more power on the rear left (or was it right) and you cant do much about it
that is true because one of the drive shafts / side shafts are longer than the other. That is also why when you light up your wheels from standstill the rear always go towards the left.

qewrty
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Post by qewrty »

Gary57 wrote:
I've read somewhere that and RWD car naturally puts more power on the rear left (or was it right) and you cant do much about it
that is true because one of the drive shafts / side shafts are longer than the other. That is also why when you light up your wheels from standstill the rear always go towards the left.
kak man. my car pulls to the left when I launch coz of my mega power :P

But does any1 know what LSD a S14 has?! I'm guessing it's close to the S13
S14, bb gt2871r, 0.7 bar boost, status: hmmm, well, she starts but.. :roll:

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

haha - you noobs are funny!!!

the diffs are exactly the same. they're both R200 diffs, and i'm assuming from that fact, that they have the same internals!

as for the side-shafts being different lengths. i think in our cars, its such a minimal difference that unless you're running huge power, it wont be noticeable. i mean its not like my old FWD, where the one side shaft was twice as long as the other!!! talk about torque steer!

as for that pic of the drag car, yes the car does like to put more weight onto one side of the car, its even written in the equation of torque. but i think with that pic, most of the "twist" is in the body. thats why the front of the car is so out of shape compared with the rear!

as for our diffs not being affected by the type of oil, i dont think thats right! with the incorrect oil type your LSD will not work at all! and i dont see a sealed unit on that diff??? the housing of the LSD unit are open on the sides, and there are no seals on it. nothing to indicate that it is sealed!

then gary - i've used AGIP LSX diff oil with great results on my diff. i dont see the need to go to nissan for a shafting. try it out sometime and let me know what you think! its about 105-00 per litre, and only is available in litre bottles!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Part #16 on that diagram is sealed... they say it contains some sort of silicon thing...

As for the wearing of the one tire more than the other... It would just have been nice if they wear out more evenly, now its like 70/30 effect other tire is still usable, other is f#cked... at least I'm not a dorifto tire destroyer virgin no more :lol:
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

Vlade wrote:Part #16 on that diagram is sealed... they say it contains some sort of silicon thing...

As for the wearing of the one tire more than the other... It would just have been nice if they wear out more evenly, now its like 70/30 effect other tire is still usable, other is f#cked... at least I'm not a dorifto tire destroyer virgin no more :lol:
maybe you need to shim that diff YO!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

The side shafts are a good 50mm longer which does make a difference.

Agents charge R175.00/Lt and it took 3. How often do you think you should change the diff oil??

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *

Post by Vlade »

Yeah speaking of shimming the diff - found a cool writeup on NZD1 pay them a visit... here is a taste

http://www.d1nz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9610

Hairdresser MX5

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

If you shim the diff it will whine!!!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

if you look nicely through those pics... try to spot the sealed piece.

if you spot it...

post it here to win your prize!!! :wink: