Help/info needed

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost
Car: S14
Engine: SR

Help/info needed

Post by fuzz123 »

Hey guys,

So this morning I start the sx and realize the automatic choke is not kicking in and the car sounds weird. Being 5 in the morning and only having to drive 5 odd km's to work, I left on my way to work. While driving I realized that the turbo is not boosting at all and that the car is heating up a lot quicker than usual. It almost feels like a boost pipe came off or something, although nothing was wrong when I parked it last night.

So I get to work open the bonnet (to look for a loose boost pipe or any other visual problems) and straight away I notice the turbo being red hot, like when you drive the shit out of the car.... So I looked, for what it was worth with my cellphone light, for lose boost pipes while I let her idle to cool down, but I could not see anything. I noticed that the intake and exhaust noises where much louder than usual..if that means anything.

So I will drive her home slowly tonight and try and see what is wrong over the weekend.

Has anyone got any pointers for me on where to start, or would it only be boost pipe(s) related?

:?:

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

Re: Help/info needed

Post by Draco »

I'd say your bushes is seezed up, the turbo is getting so hot because all the hot air is bulding and pushinmg through there, it's acting like a restriction. Take the intake from pipe from afm off and feel the compressor wheel, can you turn it by hand, feel for play forwards and backwards, should tell the story.

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

Draco wrote:I'd say your bushes is seezed up, the turbo is getting so hot because all the hot air is bulding and pushinmg through there, it's acting like a restriction. Take the intake from pipe from afm off and feel the compressor wheel, can you turn it by hand, feel for play forwards and backwards, should tell the story.
Ah ok, I will give it a go.

This means new turbo :facepalm:

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Unfortunately yes, you should also investigate why it seized if it did, check your oil feed.

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

I will do so! [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

Ok guys, so lets say the turbo has gone.(which i should figure out this weekend)

What would be a good turbo to replace the current one with? It was running a GTSS HKS turbo....
Then would I need a new manifold for the different turbo, or would i need to buy it and see? Would a new turbo require new tuning?

I plan on running 1bar max boost and 0.5 for everyday driving.

Thanks!!

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Are you using the stock manifold? Scrap that, I assume so, I'd go to turbo direct with the old turbo and ask them to get you simular or close to, depending whether you want to push it more, I'd retune it in anycase, just to be sure. Remember 1 bar on a turbo does not mean it flows the same as the next.

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

Draco wrote:Are you using the stock manifold? Scrap that, I assume so, I'd go to turbo direct with the old turbo and ask them to get you simular or close to, depending whether you want to push it more, I'd retune it in anycase, just to be sure.
Yip stock manifold still being used.

Sigh, that means I need to go back to NXgen for the tuning, as I believe from the previous owner that they installed all the parts. Unless there is someone else that can tune the HKS management? HKS Vcon Fpro management.....

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

dont jump the gun here buddy first find the problem then decide on a solution but in this case it does sound like your turbo is not a happy chappie
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

BigKriss
SX Forumholic
Engine: RB

Post by BigKriss »

Bud, from what you are describing here your ign timing is way retarded. Thats the only way the turbine housing is going to be red hot without thrashing it.
While you were accelerating out odf boost, did you hear the turbo spooling rather hard but with no power ?? or very little power ??
Check your base timing, something is the fcuk the matter here..

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

Thanks a lot for the help guys! BK you might be right as well!! I will have a look at the turbo this weekend. [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]

BK : it was spooling very loud with no power at all, and the exhaust also sounded louder.... :cry:

Now tonight I drove home and everything was suddenly ok...? WTF!!! Now I am so lost....but I will still check the turbo over the weekend. I will drive with it again in the morning and see what happens....wow this car has me by the short and curlies today!! [smilie=200sx_2guns.gif]

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

CAS loose?
Hot Plates are Sexy

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

rat wrote:CAS loose?

What is the CAS?

Cam Angle sensor?

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

thats correct
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

fuzz123
0.3 Bar Boost

Post by fuzz123 »

Ok so I checked and it seems like I have a wiring problem.... The wiring loom that runs between the firewall and gearbox seems to have troubles in it. So i guess I will need auto-electrician help on this.

Thanks for all the suggestions and help guys! [smilie=200sx_200sx.gif]