Methanol injection

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13
Engine: SR

Methanol injection

Post by harleyzx1400 »

Hi, guys. If any of you are running methanol on your SR20 DET's, do you use 100% methanol or do you dilute it? This is only for the street. I am using an AEM kit. Thanks.

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Re: Methanol injection

Post by Grobblere »

As far as i know you need to mix it 50/50 with meth and water for street, racing usage the guys gives it added amounts of meth.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Grobblere wrote:As far as i know you need to mix it 50/50 with meth and water for street, racing usage the guys gives it added amounts of meth.
ja 50/50 but u can buy it pre mixed
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Remember the 50% mix is not 1L with 1L, you mix it according to the weight of 100% methanol to water.

on 5L the mix is: 2.211L water to 2.789L methanol

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

the whole idea behind water injection is to supress detonation, so that you can run more agressive timing or higher boost..

the fact that methanol mixed with water gives a small increase in power due to the energy value of the methanol combined with lower evaporation point of methanol, does not mean there is something to be gained from running straight methanol..
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

Is anyone actually running methanol? Will it harm the engine running pure methanol on the street? Anyone got personal experience, please let me know. I do not drift or race, so very seldom flat out, and then only for short distances. Believe me, upping the boost to 1.2 gives quite a couple more kilowatts, and a bunch more torque. Without meths I was running 0.8 bar boost. The difference is awesome. Just worried about the pistons having a fit and breaking. Thanks.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

like 300sx said water meth is not purly for power gain, the methanol is just their to up the octane but the water plays a crucial part in cooling as far as i know methanol has a boiling point of 64.7 degrees c but water is 100 degrees c thus more cooling out of water therefor you loose alot of the cooling properties if you just run methanol. you better off just throwing meth in your tank i would not go 100% methanol. at 1.2bar you will need the water to keep the charge temp down or risk serious pre detonation!

this is my understanding correct me if im wrong guys
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

I fitted the methanol so I could increase the boost without detonating. I have had it set up on a dyno and it seems to be ok, not that I can hear when the pistons are selfdestructing, but I do not want to have to call a tow truck in the middle of nowhere after the big bang. Just being overly cautious, as usual! I have googled it till I am blue in the face, and there seems to be differing opinions on 100% meths or water/meths. The CamaroZ28 forum is quite helpful, but also not a definite answer. I suppose I will be the test dummy on this one. Lets see what happens. Cheers.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

To a short answer the 50/50 mix was tried and tested to be the best, there is always a million opinions, sometimes you have top try something different to see how it works.

Just remember one thing, cars that run on pure meth(as fual) needs to run way ritcher FR's because meth and fuels combustion is way different, point is that just pure meth may not make much diffs for detonation unless you spray more of it.

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

I must be running very rich, cause when I put foot, the fuel gauge drops faster than the Rand against the US Dollar! The methanol level also drops very quickly, so I think it is set quite high. I just have the methanol spraying in on high boost, above 0.8 bar, under that it does not activate. Thanks for the info. I am holding thumbs that it works out. Cheers.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

on a similar topic how do you determine the nozzle size you need to use?

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

I got three nozzles. Each one is for a certain powerband, eg up to 180kw, up to 250kw etc. Mine was set up on a dyno, so I would presume the amount spraying in is correct. Engine is putting out 230kw and 430 nm.Goes lekka.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

mods? boost?

harleyzx1400
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by harleyzx1400 »

GT 2860RS turbo, FMIC, walbro fuel pump, Dicktator,63mm exhaust, Spec clutch, Methanol, 1.2 bar boost.

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

nice!