CA18DET smoking black

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost
Car: S13

CA18DET smoking black

Post by robldepo »

howsit all just a quick one.

my sx is as standard as they come no mods done whatsoever, the car smokes heavy black smoke when i rev it up and also doesnt seem to whant to rev up nice and smooth, now im no expert but black smoke to me means overfuel. how is it posible for my car to overfuel with a standard setup? makes no sence to me.

any thoughts?

i replaced fuel filter cleaned fuel pumps filter cant seem to find any cracks in boost pipes or any vacume leaks, what am i missing?

thanks guys

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Re: CA18DET smoking black

Post by rat »

Black smoke is fuel.

Check for vacuum leaks.
Hot Plates are Sexy

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

faulty airflow meter or faulty ECU coolant temp sensor? they play a big role in fueling

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

now that you mention it the airflow meter might be a problem thats the whole reason the guy soled the car in the first place and the airflow meter that i put on there came from a guy in capetown but who is to say that one is in working order, anyone maybe have an airflow meter that i can either buy or just use to test to maybe eliminate that proble?

thanks guys

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

Got one you can shove in to see if that helps swing by my place with the car on sat we can swap it and see
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

Ok so I was bores sunday and decided to strip my car to maybe see if I can do a self diagnostics check on the ecu and I got stoped in my tracks as I managed to pull out a Dustek unichip that I didn't know about now needless to say I blame the unichip for the fuel problem but never the less wil I stil be able to get nn acurate diagnostics from the ecu? And also has anyone ever had it that when you put a walbro fuel pump in that the car doesn't start? Its a stock ca18 as far as I know, it starts fine with OE pump but not the walbro no I must add that when I clamp a vice grip on the fuel inlet pipe she starts but doesn't idle or rev up is it posible that the walbro is too strong an floods my car?

Grobblere
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by Grobblere »

Check the fuel pressure, the ca18's are very prone to overfueling if the engine gets flooded due to the high fuel pressure.....and to get it to start then takes more than a few swings! (If its a stock motor, remove the unichip? it only unplugs. But you will need to bridge the connector for the car to start then without the unichip.

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

robldepo wrote:Ok so I was bores sunday and decided to strip my car to maybe see if I can do a self diagnostics check on the ecu and I got stoped in my tracks as I managed to pull out a Dustek unichip that I didn't know about now needless to say I blame the unichip for the fuel problem but never the less wil I stil be able to get nn acurate diagnostics from the ecu? And also has anyone ever had it that when you put a walbro fuel pump in that the car doesn't start? Its a stock ca18 as far as I know, it starts fine with OE pump but not the walbro no I must add that when I clamp a vice grip on the fuel inlet pipe she starts but doesn't idle or rev up is it posible that the walbro is too strong an floods my car?
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL - Calling PFB......

Dude, get rid of the Unishit for a start if it is a stock car.
Then check your fuel pressure, the type of pump should not make a difference to whether or not the car starts or not - unless somebody "modified" your FPR as well. Some guys like to backyard mod the FPR for more pressure by knocking the top of the FPR in, so start by checking for physical damage on it, then put in a fuel pressure gauge and make sure it is correct.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

ok sweet wil ghet rid of unichip and check FPR but exactlu whaty connector do i bridge out and how do i do it.

thanks for the reply guys

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

ok guys i got rid of the unishit as some like to call it and wow what a difference hey shes going mutch better now however i have a mis for some reason :facepalm:

she pulls allright but wil be so mutch better without this mis i will do a self diagnostics tonight just trying to find the error codes

thanks for the advice on the unichip

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

Check plugs (and plug gaps)

You might have a missfire due to the wiring that is usually messed up during the Unichip install - double check the wiring at the ECU plug, making sure the wires are properly connected/soldered and isolated.
Image S13 CA18DET, NIStune and...oh wait no that's gone..... Image

robldepo
0.2 Bar Boost

Post by robldepo »

kewl wil check those wires again, you see there are 4 wires i had to bridge out for the car to start and well i was in a hurry so I didnt solder them but ill open them tonight and do it properly, when i took out the unichip the car was sweet for most of the day sunday just then all of a sudden when i started the car at my folks place to go home i noticed the slight mis on idle so i didnt think anything of it but yes as soos as i floor it it doesnt realy whant to accelerate due to this mis :facepalm:

SonOfAnarchy ZA
Administrator

Post by SonOfAnarchy ZA »

must solder! very important
"I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me"