Turbo Help please

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Turbo Help please

Post by troopiec »

Hi guys, I finally managed to find a S14 Garrett T28, I got it for real cheap however it needs reconditioning which is acceptable considering I spent under R1000 on the complete unit, however only after getting back to the hotel I'm staying at in pretoria did I see 2 tiny cracks inside the exhaust housing splitting from the waste gate hole, so now this is very worrying If I can't find another exhaust housing, this turbo has a .64 exhaust housing, I know back in Cape Town I have a stock T25 exhaust housing from a CA18DET T25, but I cannot remember what the size of it is, will it fit? If not where can I find a replacement exhaust housing for a fair price? Any advice would be great guys, thanks,, oh also if you guys can post pics of T25 exhaust housings showing the writing on the back of it wouldd also help, unfortunately I'm posting this with my cell phone so I can't post a pic of the exhaust housing it has on, but all it says on it is "garrett .64" then on the flange that bolts onto the manifold it says "52A"

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Re: Turbo Help please

Post by Daniel »

It's quite common for hairline cracks to develop there. I wouldn't worry about it.
Perhaps you can get it welded?

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD
sig[/sig]

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Hey daniel, well the crack is big enough to see right through so it is definately goin to leak boost, perhaps it could be welded but it would be tricky as the waste gate flap won't seal if the weld is on the ring where the flap seats, not sure what will be best option, would like to fit a different exhaust housing instead, I've asked Riekert to post pics for me coz I sent him some pics via whatsapp

Daniel
200SX Maniac

Post by Daniel »

Yeah that doesn't sound good then.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk HD
sig[/sig]

rat
Administrator
Car: R32

Post by rat »

The t25 exhaust housing should be the same and bolt on.
Hot Plates are Sexy

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

My brother sent me some pics of the spare exhaust housing today, all looks exactly the same however that T25 exhaust housing is AR.49 and this T28 is AR.64, and u can see the outside shell diameter is a little bit bigger than the T25 AR.49, but if the exhaust turbine is the same size then it should just bolt on and maybe it will just boost quicker and lose a bit of top end? And also how many of you guys have had good experiences with turbo recon's, I'm kind of second guessing my decision to have bought the turbo, but ohwell I took a chance, will only know when I take it back to CPT and show the shops the turbo, also can any guys recomend a good turbo recon shop in CPT? I've been in contact with "turbo repair master" in milnerton, anyone had experience with them? Thanks

rat
Administrator
Car: R32

Post by rat »

I have used turbo exchange for my repair years ago on a t25 which is still fine (2006) and a t28.

Now I haven't abused these turbos. All boosted 0.8 bar.
Hot Plates are Sexy

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Where is turbo exchange? And do you know if they fitted garrett parts and if so howmuch did it cost for the T28? I got an estimate for around R1600 with replica parts but I'll much rather fit garrett, I will also only boost like 0.8bar max

k.y.l.e.
Over Boosting

Post by k.y.l.e. »

Yo i bought my turbo gaskets at turbo exchange, when you come back to cpt ill take you there.
My LuGnuts have more torque than your honda.
EX=toyota corolla 160i 93'model
Current car=s13 200sx with s14 motor sr20det v.v.t.

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost

Post by troopiec »

Cool Kyle, I remember you took me to Turbo Repair Master before though, Riekert said he has a T28 exhaust housing laying around so il check that out when I come back aswell, then its a case of recon, just hope this turbo isn't too far gone

Riekert
The Overlord
Engine: VQ

Post by Riekert »

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1361716741288.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1361716680755.jpg
Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

Enzio wrote:Who needs ligths? When you're going sideways forward facing lights don't do anything but confuse squirrels and sheep next to the road...

aka The Overlord

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

aka The Overlord

Riekert
The Overlord

Post by Riekert »

Just turbo housing is the cracked one

The other is the one I have. No cracks

Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1361717200091.jpg

aka The Overlord

300sx
0.8 Bar Boost

Post by 300sx »

the wastegate puck does not create a gas tight seal anyways.. the amount of exhaust gas leaking through that crack will not be measurable..

the m4 housing has a higher nickel content than the m3 housing and so the m4 housing should be more heat resistant.. judging by the color of the turbine blade and the crack, that turbo has been on a engine running lean.
300zx fairlady 1991
200sx s13 with vg30det @ 1bar