T3/T4 turbo

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Draco
Forum Whore
Car: S13

T3/T4 turbo

Post by Draco »

Guys I'm trying to confer with turbo exchange about the t3/t4 turbo that Joe fit straight on S13 manifold, anybody have Joe's tel nr. if they can have the part number they can check if it's possible.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

wont the T3/T4 have a T3 flange? therefore not fit the manifold. Perhaps a adaptor plate is an option? can one be made to work
sig[/sig]

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

Best thing I can think of is get a custom branch made instead. The standard manifold is restrictive anyway.

a branch also allows the turbo to spool up faster.

Daniel
200SX Maniac
Engine: RB

Post by Daniel »

the standard manifold only starts becoming restrictive over 300BHP IMO. Besides custom manifolds are usually stainless steel which have a tendancy to crack.. ok having said that, i know the standard manifold cracks aswell :oops: but i believe it lasts longer still
sig[/sig]

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

I have to disagree. I think stainless steel lasts alot longer. I think Cast Iron is still the best but look at the weight you have. Also stainless stell is easier to repair compared to cast iron.

You might be right that the standard manifold can handle over 300BHP, but it's the flow charateristics that flaw the design.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Joe again confermed on the last event that he went there baught the turbo and it fit staight onto his manifold, Woo-haa I must agree with Daniel, I found out about this, I also thought S/S manifold is the best but then found out that it crackseasily because of the thickness.

An after market mild steel manifold uses a 3-4 mm thick pipe where S/S is only 1. something mm thick, therefore cracking comes fast with S/S.

Then I also want to say, to get an proper aftermarket manifold and downpipe will cost you about R3200, the bigger turbo normally don't have an internal waste gate, so that is about R3500 + for the turbo, depending on what stage you take and where you buy, plus an external waste gate R1300, the air intake from the airfilter to the new turbo has to be modified or remanufactured plus the oil and water pipes that has to be modified. Your car will need to stand for at least a week and a half for this process.

Buy a Garret T3/T4 for about R8000 with an internal waste gate, take old one off and new one on, takes 2 days and you get the same result plus you can do it yourself at your home where your car is safe and sound.

WooHaa
0.6 Bar Boost

Post by WooHaa »

That makes sense, but of-course you pay a price.

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

Both will cost you, it depends on what you prefer