A T2.8/T3 Garrett journal bearing turbo

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

i got a t28 off a s14 with a huge FMIC, works ok as a daily drive

a t25 spools quicker, but could be because of the IC????

Trance101
0.9 Bar Boost
Car: S13
Engine: RB

Post by Trance101 »

HancoB wrote:I'm Running a Disco Potato(GT28RS) and its great.
When does boost come in with the GT28RS? Did it make a big difference in power? I've only read/heard good things about that turbo. Its filippin expensive tho.

(Sorry for the hijack :oops: )
RB25 S13 - in a perpetual state of broken-ness...

HancoB
SX Forumholic

Post by HancoB »

Its great, At the moment I'm running the stock cooler with it so it doesn't really give you a huge power increase but 165kW on .6bar with only a turbo change is decent.(meaning the rest of the car is stock)

You can hear it spool from about 2500rpm but at 4000rpm it just gives you a lump of power. It holds .6bar flat till the limiter gets in the way. With the FMIC and a bit of tuning and a boost controller I should end up with about 215kW. The sx it came off of had that much.

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

I can get you a brand new TR28Kai turbo. R7000-00.

12 month warranty. Will take 7-14 days to deliver.

10psi or 0.7bar boost at 3500rpm.

Maximum reliable boost is 1.4bar.

Specs:
Compressor Wheel:
Dia: 60mm

Turbine Wheel:
Dia: 53mm

Manifold Flange:
T2x

A/R: 0.86
Rolling Thunder..........

Draco
Forum Whore

Post by Draco »

A few suggestions.....go there with your manifold and see if it fits, I have seen different garret turbos where the flanges does not fit, also make sure it has a internal wastegate otherwise you will have to purchase an external wastegate aswell and then let it be fitted and tuned to open at the right time.

As for spooling, my opinion is that it should spool up almost as fast as a T28 because of the housing size, if you go bigger your lag will become worse.

mario_200sx
200SX Maniac

Post by mario_200sx »

Good advise Draco! :wink:

Sometimes with the T2 range turbos especially the T28 range, the turbo needs to be clocked about 5deg to fit properly.

So thats also something too look at other than the flange, although clocking it is not difficult.
Rolling Thunder..........

Enzio
0.9 Bar Boost

Post by Enzio »

My motor is running with a TD04 and the power is linear from about 3500-4000 and boosts from low down. Probably something similar to the GT28 Hanco is talking about regarding performance.

I dont have any complaints and the motor pulls strongly with max boost set to 0.8 bar and boosts 0.5 from low down...

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

i've read that bigger wheels also cause more lag.

so the bigger diameter on the wheels the more the lag, because the exhaust gasses have to overcome a bigger inertia that the bigger wheels have.

the materials of the wheels also plays a part in lag for the same reason. ceramic wheels are far lighter than aluminium wheels and therefore spool up faster. but ceramic wheels tend to break apart at the upper limit of the turbos max RPM.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by 200SXSilviaSavage »

Thanx a billion for all the input guys!!! Really appreciate it... My ol' man spoke to me about all these things that I should take into perspective for which turbo to get in terms of the actual engine threshold :? Does anyone know how much power the stock CA engine can withstand without blowing head gaskets or breaking internals??? I've heard that If you look at making over 100KW at the wheels then you're looking for trouble :( Is this true? Cause I really wanna make around 130RWKW but don't know if it's gonna be safe :? I'm so confused

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

not true...

a stock CA18det is supposed to make around 135kw's at the fly, which roughly translates to about 100kw at the wheels.

i reckon a stock ca18det could handle 200kw's no problem.
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

That is such a relief to hear VC!!! You have no idea... I've got a stock CA engine with current mods such as FMIC, filter, 63mm zorst, BOV... I'm looking at getting a T28/T3 and running 0.8 bar boost on it, also want to chip the engine with a piggyback Perfect Power Lettripp Turbo Fueller management and then eventually dyno tune the final setup... Is there anything that I'm missing here? Such as upgrading the fuel pump?... I'm not sure... Just to make this mod safe for the dyno without spending too much more...

DoctorG
Slipping Clutch

Post by DoctorG »

Upgrading the fuel pump is always a good idea. Probably a must if you looking for over 130wkw. Which is not hard to do.

My CA is old, has 300k kms on it. I fitted a 76 mm exhaust, removed the viscous fan, fitted a cone filter and then had her timing set on a dyno.

She made 160kw at the fly or about 126wkw up here in jozi. And it's been driving like that for about 2 years now. My car sees the limiter at least twice everytime I drive it, so it's pretty reliable.

I think you should aim for 180wkw - 200wkw.

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

Awesome stuff man... Just what the doctor ordered :lol: And I can't believe that you're making that much power with so few mods! That's really impressive :D I've been surfing a bit and it seems a new fuel pump would be a good idea so thanx for the advice Doctor. Also finding that the standard engine is capable of withstanding around 150rwkw so I think I'm good to go? If anyone has anything else that they think I've left out please advise me as I'm pretty new to this. Thanx tonnes for the help once again :D

DoctorG
Slipping Clutch

Post by DoctorG »

there are cleverer :lol: s13 guys on this forum than me but I reckon you should:

get a 76mm pipe if you can afford to change.
get a boost controller. preferably electric, although for 0.8 bar I think a manual may be fine.
Get a walbro fuel pump (gss-341 with the 400-766 filter kit)
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
FMIC (think you mentioned you got one)
Cold air intake or cone filter on stock piping.
Bigger MAF (Z32 or better)
Ditch the PP Turbo Fueller. For the same money you can get something that can do timing and fuel, and and and...
Get the T28/T3 turbo or better.

Also, with the s13 like any car it pays to save up a bit and do the mods you wanna do properly, instead of doing the cheap, easy way wich will probably cost you more money and some frustration in the end.

Happy modding :wink: :D

200SXSilviaSavage
0.1 Bar Boost

Great that sounds like a plan :) Just not too sure what the MAF Z32 is??? What are the prices for this? And what should I be looking at instead of the Perfect Power chip? Tnx