So your dash lights are dead so is your backlights

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

So your dash lights are dead so is your backlights

Post by Vlade »

With a car of 17years of age, things are bout to go wrong... just because of age...

If you are having the problem where your dash lights + back lights are dead, and all your fuses are A OK... I know what is wrong... It took me 4 find... but I fixed it...

The problem lies within your indicator/light switch on the steering wheel, internally there is some copper fingers with "points" (like a distributor) on the end, these fingers are lifted to "break" the circuit, now over time these "points" burn out/away and you loose connectivity... I measured it mine pulled 6Amps though those points, so now you can understand, its like a relay, they can only last that long...

Fingers with points, middle one is "Main" one for lights

The Fix...
Well either get a second hand unit or DIY... I went for DIY since, WOFE will i find a indicator/light mechanism for a S13... I went DIY...

1. Remove the plastic casing around the steering column 6 screws, 1 is below the height adjustment lever.

2. Remove the indicator, 2 screws, mine was a bronze color.

3. You'll see at the back of the indicator unit is a see through plastic thing with the 4 small ends melted over it, that needs to be broken away to get to the fingers, you can remelt the stuff on with soldering iron... Don't worry it just sounds bad, but really piss.

4. Carefully lift the fingers and sand the points with sanding paper to create a new surface... Bam your done... Just make sure that the finger has enough pressure to close it self again, to stiffen it press gently with something right on the end of the finger where its molded into the plastic...
Hairdresser MX5

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

nice one!

but it took 4 what to find that???

days, months, years, hours, minutes???
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already

jon
0.7 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Post by jon »

I also had this issue, just used a screw-driver to scrape the copper jobbies clean, your way is better though :D
Diesel power, hmm, yes, I think I'll have some of that.

Vlade
* - Club Pimp - *
Car: Other

Post by Vlade »

4 Hours... :oops:

What baffled me was when I measured the fucker with the Multi Meter I got continuity through the switch when it was turned on... so I veered away from it started searching else were for the problem, I should have tested the wire coming out of the switch for power... Once I did that I figured out it was the switch...
Hairdresser MX5

ChemCool
SX Forumholic
Car: S13

Post by ChemCool »

Thanks Vlade. Need to add that also with this issue the front parking lights are off and the lights on reminder unit not functioning. So: it is tail lights, park lights, dash lights and lights reminder all on one circuit.

Chem 8)

BTW, Vlade is this not good enough article for the article section?
COOLER, FASTER, LIGHTER
www.wappage.mobi AGENTS NEEDED URGENTLY!

veecee
AGENT SX!

Post by veecee »

ChemCool wrote:BTW, Vlade is this not good enough article for the article section?
i was thinking the same thing!
ReeceZ wrote:I'm sorry... I couldn't help it. Please no one wish any hateful shit on me, I own an SX already