fitting turbos

Discussion of technical issues and ideas (engine, chassis)

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

ESSEXY-ZN
0.2 Bar Boost

fitting turbos

Post by ESSEXY-ZN »

sup guys when refiting the turbos do i need to break them in? do i change oil to some crappy mineral one first to flush out any ceramic particles that may have escaped? ( dont know if there was any but thinking maybe head precaution as my exhaust wheel was ceramic). or will new oil and oil filter be fine? do i crank the car immediately or turn key to prime oil flow through all channels including turbos? any other tips to ensure i dont damage the units before i even get to use them? thanks

troopiec
0.4 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Re: fitting turbos

Post by troopiec »

Hey, dont worry about particles in oil from exhaust wheel, the oil feeding channels to the bearings are sealed off, never heard of having to flush oil or anythinge due to new turbo, just ensure your oil is fresh as it can only help, in terms of priming the turbo it is quite important, you dont want to start up the engine and the turbo is dry, what ive done in the past is use a syringe to squirt oil down the oil feed hole of the turbo and then i removed my fuel pump relay to swing the car without it starting, it can take some time for the oil to actually flow through surprisingly, i swung my car with my new oil line with it disconnected from turbo for me to physically see the oil come out and took about 3 swings before oil started to come out of the new longer oil line. Then once you're happy with oil supply pop in the fuel pump relay/fuse and start her up, let it idle to operating temperature and check for oil leaks from oil drain and make sure everything is ok, never heard of needing breaking in, just drive it normally a bit and if all seems good boost it like you normally would just ensure to let it idle before switching off and folow the general turbo maintanace tips to give it a longer lifespan.

ESSEXY-ZN
0.2 Bar Boost

Re: fitting turbos

Post by ESSEXY-ZN »

thanks for that. much appreciated.