how much power to start drifting

It's all about going side ways YO!

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

hi all
I would appreciate advice as to power setup on wifes sx with rb25.
she is just starting out compared to you guys , but do i set a flat torque curve or peaky. where should i set initial rev limiter. Engine is neo6 with fong kong intake. using Spitronics as i found it to be very smooth when used previously.
thanks in advance.

SilviaS13
Club Drifter
Car: S13
Engine: 2JZ

Post by SilviaS13 »

Hello. With that setup on .8 bar you should be making over 200 kw on the wheels. That is enough power to start drifting.
drifterz do it slideways...

djtreble
Over Boosting

Re: how much power to start drifting

Post by djtreble »

You just need seat time to start out with. I always mainatain that it is best to learn in an underpowered car as it teaches you proper car control! This is why one of the cars I have built is a E30 1.8 litre (m10 engine). If you can drift that well you will be awesome in a higher powered car!

Guys in the UK drift standard MX5's and AE86's...these are all sub 100kw 1.6 litre cars.

The standard power of the RB will be more than enough to start out with. But make sure the diff is locked/locking in some way or another.

Distributor for ROTA wheels South Africa

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

rat
Administrator
Car: R32
Engine: RB

Post by rat »

7500 rpm is a safe limit.

No more then 0.9 on the stock turbo.
Hot Plates are Sexy

SilviaS13
Club Drifter

Post by SilviaS13 »

Depends on what you want to do. Play around small power is fine, buy to compete on all the tracks you are going to need power.
I agree with dj, but by all the events help in GP, if your car is slow you are not going to make it.

Come to an event and see. At Supadrift it is a drag race to the initiation box, and if you can't keep up it is a problem.
My limiter is 6500

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Yeah you not going to compete well with an underpowered car based on the above "drag race" but low power to learn BEFORE you commit to going all out and competing, an underpowered/ low powered car is fine. Its not cheap to drift so make sure you are absolutely sure its what you want to do before spending all your money on power.

You need practice and if we are going to come anywhere near the international levels we need to practice more and worry less about competing straight off the bat. We need more grass routes drifting.

Another thing we need to do, in my opinion, is reduce the drag racing aspect...its drifting. You are meant to compete in the corners not the straights. The uk and japan make it possible for someone in an ae86 to compete for the top spot because of this, why can't we?

Just my 2c, take it or leave it...

Sorry I went on a bit, I'm passionate about making drifting accessible so that we can discover and produce more talent to get to international levels. More drifting, less projects that hardly see the track.

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

SilviaS13
Club Drifter

Post by SilviaS13 »

I agree with dj You need to learn to drift first...

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Thanx for the replies. I do not think my wife will go to that extent. I was thinking of 0.5 bar for her to master the technical aspect of drifting and progress with more performance from that point. I needed to understand how the power must come in as some people prefer power to come in with a bang but i was afraid it would catch her unexpectedly and not allow her the chance to be able to correct the slide. Is the fatbox necesary?

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

At 0.5 with standard turbo's it will come in nice and early and stock...its abosultely fine to get started with so get it setup and get to the track. Remember to keep us up to date on progress witrh pics and vids!

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Waiting on some parts to come before we can continue. Will post progress.

Scatman
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by Scatman »

So are there any progress updates on your wifes' drifting aspirations? Would be cool to have another lady drifter.
Link to my ride's thread (2006 Citi):
*Click here*

And my 1975 Audi 80 restoration thread:
*Click here*

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Freddy intake,new turbo,fat box,walbro pump,heavy duty clutch plate,malpassi regulator,intercooler and spitronics have arrived. No time to work on sx as we need to finish customers conversions first. As soon as saldanah wekend is past we will have time to continue. I enjoyed tuning rb26 a week ago and cant help but feel the neo6 has the potential to produce more torque lower in the rev range. Will ask wife to take some pics and post. Thanx

djtreble
Over Boosting

Post by djtreble »

Come say howzit at saldanha. My silvia will be parked with the d1s guys

www.rotawheels.co.za
www.kaihatsu.co.za

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

Will not be there cause i need to spend some time with family, but hope you guys enjoy the weekend, not getting our own cars done is starting to frustrate me so i will need to buy face as wife will not see me once l get started with transplant.

viper cape
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by viper cape »

engine is in , waiting on prop and then the work starts.