PaKi's Track MoNSTeR

How-to's, project cars, and various other articles posted by club members

Moderators: P3g4sus, Daniel, rat, Draco, Riekert

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost
Car: S13

Re: PaKi's Track MoNSTeR

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

The guys who bend the piping can only get it done next week, so I took it easy this week and didn't rush to get things done. Spent some time today and stripped out the steering column and pedals to leave more room to manoeuvre when welding the cage. The stuff had to come out in any case when the interior got painted, so I figured I might as well get it all out. I hope how I can remember where it all goes...

This is more my pace. Spanners and screwdrivers suit me better than grinders. My patience gets too short and most of the time I just make a bigger mess of things.
The front all stripped and ready for the cage...
The front all stripped and ready for the cage...
DSC_0008c.jpg (211.72 KiB) Viewed 10468 times
I'm going to strip everything down as far as I can so that it can get either painted or plated depending on the item. I hate working on dirty stuff so I'm cleaning and getting everything sorted as I go along. I don't want to get dirty if I have to work on it again in the future.
All of the offending items...
All of the offending items...
DSC_0011c.jpg (301.1 KiB) Viewed 10468 times
Had to remove the steering lock to meet regulations.
Had to remove the steering lock to meet regulations.
DSC_0013c.jpg (273.38 KiB) Viewed 10468 times
Next update will hopefully be of the cage going in...
There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and owning an SX the most certain.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

How difficult was it removing the dash and all that kak behind there?

What are you planning on using this car for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DriftZ: "I swear if a CA18 beats my SR im getting a RB!"

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Mainly track but it needs to be street legal. Keen to scare a few old ladies on my way to the shop.

It wasn't that difficult. Once the dash was out it was pretty simple. Just undo the bolts. I'm not putting any of the ducting back. So I just pulled it all out along with the heater assembly. The AC piping also needs to get stripped out but I'm working inside out...

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and owning an SX the most certain.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

@Gary: Frank is almost as stripped as mine. How bad is it really? I saw you put some carpet back in to 'make it more liveable'. I think he still has all the ducting and vents & stuff? Do you get problems with windows misting up and stuff like that? I'm planning on sealing all of the venting holes and only leaving the mounting holes open at the base of the windscreen as well as sealing the vents pointing into the cabin. I want a real smooth finish. So the plan is to seal, paint and flock the whole dash. Only items will be instrument panel, gauges and whatever switches I require in the dash. The rest is gone.

Stupid idea??? Who else has a full/part track car that can comment?

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Frank is completely stripped, I removed all carpeting.

It is loud and hot and if you run semis you hear stones all day. It's no place to sit in traffic.

I am busy stripping all wiring and excess weight out but am keeping interior fan, trust me with windows up on track it is stupidly hot in there. The hot air the fan blows is cooler than the cabin so it is welcomed.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

I hear you... Any issues with the windscreen misting up if it's a cold day or raining out on the track? Suppose you still have your venting so no issues there. Maybe I should just boost more and try to keep the AC running the whole time... :lol:

I wont be able to put my vents back anyway as all of the surrounds broke when I took them out. The car stood for so long that everything became brittle and breaks as soon as you touch it. So I will have to make another plan with the venting. The blower housing is so huge it fills up most of the space behind the passenger side of the dash. I'm sure there's a better way to get cold air into the cabin...

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Run a pipe from above side mirror into side window like GT cars.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Had sometime this past week so decided to neaten up the pedal assemblies and steering column while they were out. Everything was 'polished' with a combination wheel to remove all of the surface rust. The painted portions of the pedals where given the once over with a flap wheel just to roughen up the surface.

This is a before picture of the pedal assemblies:

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PaKiM ... sort=3&o=2

This is when all of the items where prepped and ready to paint:

This is a pic of the stuff all painted:

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PaKiM ... sort=3&o=0

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PaKiM ... sort=3&o=1

I just used a single pack black etch primer. Will take nicer pic's when they are all assembled again. I'm also sending all of this pins and stuff to get plated again so it will look like new when it's all assembled. The next thing I want to do is to cover the pedals with a non slip grip tape. They use them on stairs or areas where tiles get wet. So hopefully it works. Don't want to put the re pedals.

@Gary: I had a think about what you said and seeing as I'm not going to have a steering column cover, what about running tubes along it and incorporating some of those round directional vents that some cars use. You can fix the tubes to the steering column and then use the vents to direct airflow. Then you can try to run these tubes from the front of the car somewhere to try and get cooler air.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

So, Santa brought me a little something before the big day...

We went from this:

To this:

http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/PaKiM ... sort=3&o=1

Next is getting the inside cleaned up. There is a little surface rust that I need to tackle with a flap wheel and clean the whole inside ready for paint. So there's a few more things that will need to get stripped out then I can start masking. Might go in for a day next week to do a little but doubt it. So will only tackle this again in the new year.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

Who built the cage and how much they charge?

Are you still adding the sissy bar and main hoop diagonals to conform with FIA?

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Nope this is the full cage. The guy who did it builds all VW motorsport's rally and Polo Cup cars. We discussed the cross in the main hoop but this design doesn't require it. He's built cages for WRC cars and he is listed on FIA's official biulders so he gets the regs each year.

With that being said, I still wanted to get the local guys to do an inspection on the cage prior to painting it. Just to confirm that it's all legit.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

MSA references FIA appendix J for the regs, I'm not sure but your cage does not conform. This may or may not be an issue for you.

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Just checked the regs and it looks like it conforms, to me at least. It doesn't specify the origin of the reinforcement of the main hoop. So with my type of reinforcement it still triangulates with rhe main hoop but it tie in with the rear brace instead of on the floor. To me this seems better than the floor. But I'm no specilist.

Gary57
Club Rep

Post by Gary57 »

How much did he charge you for the cage? I am looking for someone to do my cage now?

Did you go with 50mm through out the cage?

PAKIMONSTER
0.1 Bar Boost

Post by PAKIMONSTER »

Got myself some more goodies for the car. :D

I need to get going. Got a little more cleaning up on the inside to do. Small spots of surface rust that needs to go then I can start painting. I need to hurry up as the cage is already starting to develop surface rust on it. Don't want it to sit for too long.